Sign in to follow this  
med11043

Adding Custom Callsign for VA

Hello All,

I have been trying to add a custom airline and callsign to the list of AIrlines in RC (so I can use it when flyign with my Virtual Airline).  What I have done is made a .wav file of my airline's callsign and added it to every controller/pilot's voice folders (in the rcv4x/winwood folder).

I then followed the instructions in this post, which seems to be the correct way to do it?

I edited the c4.csv file in the data folder and added my VA's info. as needed.

However, I am having the following issue, after saving and closing everything and then restarting Radar Contact, I can now see my VA in the list with appropriate call sign, but when I click the little speaker icon next to the name to hear it say the name (play the .wav file), nothing happens, no audio plays??

I'm hoping someone can help me before I start pulling my hair out!

Thanks  :lol:

Mike D.

Did you create a script file for the .wav name?

For instance under your RCv4 folder you have a script folder and under that you have two folders, one for pilots and one for controllers. Here's an example. In each of those two folders you have an AIR PORTUGAL.txt file. The contents of each have AIR PORTUGAL . These are simple DOS text files created with notepad.

Now under RCv4\winwood you have all of the voice folders. In all of those used for pilots and controllers you have the file name AIR PORTUGAL.wav. which matches the contents in the script file.

You can click the speaker in the airline selection and also after selection of the airline if you click the name of any of the pilots or controllers on a voices selection page it will use the airline you selected on that voice playback.

Thank you for your suggestion, Ronzie. I had checked and although I never created the script files, it appears RC did that automatically after I entered the info. in the c4.csv file and then reopened RC (and they were in the proper format.)

However, that did not solve the issue...but I did end up figuring it out!

Although nothing was playing when I clicked the yellow speaker button, I did go into the Voices section and click on the names to get it to play that way. It would say every word in the phrase that played ok, except for the callsign of my VA. That section of the audio file was just a bunch of garbled noise.

So I figured it must have something to do with the format of the .WAV files that I created.  Although I thought they were in the same format as all of the stock RC .wav files, they were not.  They were encoded at a much higher bitrate, which apparently RC does not like!

So as a sample I changed one of my files to 8-bit, mono, 11Khz, which encoded the file with a bitrate of 88kbps, the same as all the stock RC .wav files. Lo' and behold, it worked!

I only wish I knew that beforehand, but now I will just need to convert all the .wav files I made to that format and all should be good. It will take some time, but lesson learned!

And for anyone else that may try to do this make sure that are in the same format/bitrate as the stock .wav files from the beginning.

Thanks again!