Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

FSX horrible textures.

Hi,

I have recently completely converted from fs9 to FSX, my pc specs are good & the PMDG 777/Rex direct & ASN work perfectly and look stunning whilst running at a solid 30fps.

My addon airports all look very good except FTX global. Just did a flight from Dubai to Delhi, on departure Dubai looked beautiful as I would expect from flytampa. As I left the city the desert textures looked awful, way worse then fs9! Also no beaches on the coast and water textures looked horrible.

Something must be up with my settings although everything else looks great & I spent a huge amount of time following guides.

It was so bad I switched the time of day to night, that looked stunning.

Could someone post a pic of desert regions in FSX. I am shocked at how bad it looks.

Kind regards

Rob Prest

My addon airports all look very good except FTX global.

I hope you are not trolling as FSX users usually get pretty excited when someone says the textures in FSX look bad in comparison to FS9 (you didn't say comparison but you definitely insinuated it in your first sentence).  What textures are you referring to?  FSX default or FTX Global?  Doesn't FTX Global replace all the default textures?  Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.  Like an image of the FS9 textures and then an image of the bad FSX Textures.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Don't know why earth you think I'm trolling. I am just stating facts here, something is not right with my setup. I am using FTX global, yes it does replace default textures.

I will post some shots to show what I am talking about.

This is not about FSX vs FS9! I have been around here long enough to avoid that kind of childish rubbish :) would just like the UAE to at least look as good as my old

Setup.

Everything else in FSX is stunning.

Cheers

Rob Prest

Dear me Jim.....good grief.

Global is good but in that area it's bad, so what your seeing is where global is very weak. Go anywhere "green" and it does a good job. I totally understand your topic and what your seeing.

Troll, lol.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Top pic is FSX..

Christ what is everyones problem? It's like a GTAV forum! How am I being a troll? all I want to know is how to fix this so I can fly during the day. I am not saying FSX or FTX  is bad, look at the screenshot, that cant be right? 

Edit - @ David, just saw the last part of your post, so is this the best I can get that region to look? And sorry, I thought you also thought I was being a troll.

Cheers

jnim.jpg
rsco.jpg
34f6.jpg

Rob Prest

Dear me Jim.....good grief.

Global is good but in that area it's bad, so what your seeing is where global is very weak. Go anywhere "green" and it does a good job. I totally understand your topic and what your seeing.

Troll, lol.

Trolling is a problem here at AVSIM.  Individuals who troll or try to incite our membership will be warned and possibly suspended.  It's serious.  Not a laughing matter.  Be careful with your comments. 

Best regards.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jeez, Jim can we please just quit the trolling thing. Yes it is serious but has nothing to do with this topic... I have a great respect for this community and the developers that create these addons.

Thanks

Rob Prest

The problem is not the textures so much as the landclass and vector data.  FTX has a vector product as well which will fix coastlines and roads and such and will in the future be putting out landclass products to make the FSX world look more realistic.  Those areas of the world you're flying in just need some help in default FSX vs. other areas of the world.  Global is just a texture replacement, it can't tell FSX where to put them or how to draw coastlines and such.  Default water in FSX can be pretty bad (the neon tropical stuff).  REX would give you some choices for good replacement textures and a decent weather engine.  FTX Global doesn't touch water or clouds, just the land stuff.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Don't know why earth you think I'm trolling.

I explained why I thought you might be trolling.  You could have posted w/o telling everyone you just upgraded from FS9 to FSX and subsequently telling us how bad the FSX textures were.  As I advised NyxxUK, trolling is a problem here (and at all FS forums).  It is difficult to read your mind.  I just do not want everyone who reads your OP to think you are trolling and start an argument. 

So I'm looking at your photos in post #5.  What do they represent?  FSX textures?  FTX Global Textures?

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, I have been around here over 10 years, also have a commercial Tag, trolling anyone or any developer is the last thing on my mind. I guess you're just doing your job so i'll leave it at that.

In my original post I stated that I am using FTX global. Forget it, looks like Charles & David kindly answered my question.

@Charles, thanks for the reply, will hold out for the Vector product.  I have rex and rex direct installed, the top FSX pic shows rex water textures, this is why I think perhaps I have an incorrect setting or a bad install?

Just a sidenote, I fully understand what each product does,landclass/textures/sky replacement etc.  My FS9 setup in the screesnhot had GEpro for the desert textures and no Landclass in the Middle East, ultimate terrain only covered Europe & the USA. Can I not convert my old GEpro textures to use in FSX? or would that cause problems?

Cheers

Rob Prest

The Vector product is out, it's the landclass product that is not out yet.  Those will be coming out in regions with Europe and the US as some of the first.  I can't say for sure how Vector will affect the coastlines in your FSX screenshot above since I don't own it at the moment (holding out for their NorCal region that's about to drop so I can see the price first and plan from there).  I just know it should fix things like that where MS did not do a very good job.  As far as the water textures, try a different set from REX.  Some look better than others.  Are you using FSX in DX9 or DX10 mode?  That can have a big effect on the water too.  Actually that reminds me, what is your water slider set to in FSX?   I would recommend at least "2.x Low".  I can't really tell from the screenshot.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Jim, I have been around here over 10 years, also have a commercial Tag, trolling anyone or any developer is the last thing on my mind. I guess your just doing your job so i'll leave it at that.

Evidently you were not trolling.  I apologize. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Dx9 for now, if the PMDG 777 OOMS on me I will try DX10. My water is set to High1x,  Will try 2x low and test out some other rex textures. 

Will avoid arriving into Dubai during the day until these other products are released! Really enjoying FSX, apart from the desert areas everything else is stunning! :)

Cheers

Evidently you were not trolling.  I apologize. 

Best regards,

Jim

No worries Jim :Hug:

Rob Prest

Dx9 for now, if the PMDG 777 OOMS on me I will try DX10. My water is set to High1x,  Will try 2x low and test out some other rex textures. 

Will avoid arriving into Dubai during the day until these other products are released! Really enjoying FSX, apart from the desert areas everything else is stunning! :)

Cheers

No worries Jim :Hug:

Yeah definitely give the 2.x waters a try, I think you'll be much happier with them.  If you want I can take a look at that area you took the screenshot of if you can send me the rough lat/long or just the nearest airport you were around.  The only desert stuff I could find from my current world tour was from over Iran (I think I installed Global in the middle of saving that flight and had already come through Dubai).  I thought it looked really good vs. default FSX textures other than needing some decent landclass to position the textures more realistically.  The sand dune textures really impressed me, making a flat texture look nearly like 3D sand dunes.