Sign in to follow this  
Guest bonjourmoi44

Anybody ever really got another rwy assigned for landin...

Not me!Yes, off course, after I got a certain rwy assigned for approach/landing in FS9, ATC gives me the option to request another rwy. And yes, so far I allways got this alternative confirmed, but allways only with the addition "circle to land" or "sidestep" to that runway, which was originally given by ATC. Thus this option to select a different rwy for landing, is not really an option.Selecting a different runway for take off works fine though.Wolfgang(edited due to wrong spelling)

From what I recall the option works perfect only if parallel runways are involved...eg 9L & 9R. If you have rwy 9 and rwy 12 and you request another then you get the circle to land .Also the point when you make the request is critical. You first have to request a new approach from the first controller who assigned the approach, (usually center). Then after getting confirmation you still have to request the other runway. Don't know why this is so but thats how I have been doing it.

It seems to be hit and miss. Some airports it's no problem, other is never works. Not sure why.Matt

Guest bonjourmoi44

I do it kind of like Bray. When ATC first gives me instructions to land (i.e., Skywest turn XXX heading, expect ILS runway XX for landing) I see if it is what I want. If there is another runway I would rather have (assuming the wind allows for such a runway to be available) then before I accept any instructions from ATC I choose a different runway and give the request to the controller. Then before I agree to ATC's new instructions for runway landing I then choose the new approach to my runway. Then ATC will come back and give me instructions to for the new approach and the new runway. This works for me, no circle to land or side stepping. Good luck

Thanks for your replies guys!So far I have never requested another approach but only another rwy. So I'll try to select another approach the next time!Thanks for this hint!Wolfgang

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there-isn't the runway offered due to the winds at the airport;>>>>If there is another runway I would rather have (assuming the >>>>wind allows for such a runway to be available) then before I >>>>accept any instructions from ATC I choose a different runway and >>>>give the request to the controllerIf you change the wind round you'll get a different runway as I tried that at Juneau to come in from the other end for a change!! and with the default it's a great slide and overshoot if you follow ATC.