Sign in to follow this  
Guest blindlemon57

Need some sound advice...no really...sound advice

Guest blindlemon57

Hi all,I've picked up a quirk in my system whereby my sound now sounds like an old lp. Lots of pops and I'm noticing since it has happened my flights are very stuttery. I like the frame rates I'm getting and I have used the latency tools to bring my video card down to 32. The only thing I've added is the American Data and Roads from FS Genesis. It did start immediately after installing that program, but I sure don't see how that could affect the sound popping and stutters. I am using the stock audio card that came with my hp system (pavillion 296) but haven't had the problem previous. I know I should un-install the AD program and try again, but it took a bit of tweaking to get that program to work without crashing FS9. Any hints or suggestions where I could start would be helpful. Don't like flying with stutters or sound popping.ThanksBlind Lemon

Guest Charlie Hall

I had this problem for a long time with my SBLive sound card, but often it would be OK with the stock aircraft. Any aircraft add ons that had large file sizes, and especially large add on sound files would cause similar problems to yours. It got especially bad if I changed to exterior views and then back to the 2D view, when the sound would be continually loud crackling and distortion to the point I had to shut down the sim. Eventually I realised that it was the XP stock sound drivers that were the problem. I had tried the Creative SBLive drivers before but they did not help the problem at the time, then recently I checked the date of the latest drivers and seemed to be newer than the ones I thought I remembered trying, so I installed the basic drivers, rather than all the package. The sound has been relatively trouble free since then, certainly I have never had to shut down the sim because of it. From this experience I would suggest that you search for updated sound drivers. If you cannot find any you might have to consider a different sound card. You could also try altering the latency setting of the sound card. You might also try different aircraft to see if the problem applies to all. If any stock aircraft have the problem then there really must be a problem with the sound card or the drivers.

Sound problems can occur because some other component is getting overstressed, so it is indeed possible that any add-on that puts more load on the system can cause sound issues.Try to edit the scenery.cfg file and just set the new scenery from active to not active, and try if it changes anything (easy to change back again..)

Bert

Guest blindlemon57

Thanks guys, great advice. I do have alot of add-ons and maybe the AD and roads over stressed stuff a bit. I've noticed it with the MAAM DC-3 that I've been flying alot. I'll try some other options and get back with results.Thanks againBlind Lemon

Hi That sounds exactly like the problem i have .. and i have the same card , what drivers did you use ? mine end in .252 .. cant remember the rest . Thanks Rich

ugcx_banner.png

Guest harleyman52

It sure seems like an issue with an add-on....ButThis happened to my wifs puter too...she does not sim ......Well,only with The Sims..turns out the sound card was failing...I finally took it out for a look-see..And found several capistors were leaking.... After replacing that card it still happened and it turnrd out to be a short in the MoBo and the main sound panel in the front bay where the card readers are..All I'm saying is it never hurts to have a look.......and at least rule out a bad card......

I've had similar problems. It sounds very static-ey. I first noticed it after installing the update for directX. I haven't changed any of my scenery settings or anything in FSX itself, as I have it running very smooth.Does anyone know if directX could be the problem here?

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I had the same problem, with FS2002 and with FSX on different computers and with a SB Live and a SB Audigy card. I found different solutions. With FS 2002 it would help to have lower settings with DirectX-sound, but this did not help with FSX. At first I had the latest Creative drivers. Fortunately after a year, Creative released newer drivers that solved the problems. I also tried a different sound card but that did not work well with SP2. I hope you solve the problem because I found it very annoying.Regards,Jan