Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

Proper procedure for ILS landings

Regarding the heavies, if the situation is near zero zero visibility does the pilot typically hand fly the approach all the way to the runway, or do they typicall let the autopilot AP mode fly most of the way taking over when the runway is in sight - or is it a combo of both. I ask because I've been practicing 3/4 mile visibility approaches manually and I have gotten pretty comfortable to the point that I can maintain glideslope and localizer all the way down to the point where I can transition to visual flight, I usually practice in 16 knot cross, head, and tail, winds. The aircraft I am using right now is the CX750 from EagleSoft. But how do the pros do it? Thanks!!

Guest 737_Pilot

I've never shot an ILS with less than a reported RVR of 1800' and I like to hand fly, but sometimes use the autopilot, sounds like the way you're flying them. Some operators are authized to fly cat II and III ILS approaches and can land with less than 1800 RVR but not the company I fly for, to do that I think the autopilot has to do the flying.

For low visibility landings such as Cat II and III's, autopilots are required to be used during the approach. For Cat IIs, the pilot will disengage the AP when the runway comes into view and land manually. For Cat IIIs, the AP will autoland. Some companies also require that Cat I approaches below a certain visibility to be accomplished with the autopilot also.

Right. You have to have the approach chart for the Cat II or Cat III approach and follow the minima shown on the chart. Of course, IRL "aircraft and aircrew certification required", but that's the benefit of the FS environment.One 727 operator allows single channel AP CAT I to 75 Ft AGL and CAT II to 50 Ft AGL. A dual channel AP can be used on CAT I - III all the way to touch down, except:1. The autoland flare maneuver requires a published ILS runway Threshold Crossing Height (TCH) of 47 feet or greater. If the TCH is less than 47 feet, autopilot minimums revert to 75 feet AGL for Cat I and 50 feet AGL for Cat II (as appropriate).2. Autoland requires normal 30

Correct. The aircraft has to be ceritifed for Cat II/Cat III, the pilot has to be trained and certified for Cat II/Cat III, and the airport has to have the equpiment put in and certified for Cat II/ Cat III. Not every airport has Cat II or Cat III ILS systems and not every aircraft has Cat II or Cat III systems. Only airports that really need it usually splurge for it such as Spokane and Seattle where they get thick fog often. LAX most likely has it due to it's frequent fog rolling in off the beach. I'm not sure what airlines do about their end of the deal with aircraft. I'd assume to minimize expenses, they keep aircraft with Cat II/Cat III equipment in regions where they would most likely encounter those conditons that would nessecitate such an approach. They could have their entire fleet equiped too, I don't know how much those systems burden their profit margin.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach