Sign in to follow this  
mslim

XP 3gb "switch"

As most owners of a low spec, outdated system do,  I am trying to nurse it along until I can afford a new box.

I was looking at my boot.ini and wondering if I had engaged the 3gb switch properly for maximum FSX usuage.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/3GB/Userva=2560

It looks a little redundant to me, but I am not very smart with computers.  Could someone smarter than me take a look at this and see if it's done correctly?  The system is running smooth but launching the Twin Otter extended from Paine Field headed to Port Angeles in ORBX PNW I get an OOM after about 15 minutes of flight time.

Thanks in advance.

Slim

Slim if this is win xp 32-bit you need the 3GB switch to access the most VAS (if it is 64-bit it shouldn't be used as you have 4GB VAS allocated by default)

The boot.ini line should look like: /fastdetect /3GB  /USERVA=3072 (note spaces)

The values go from 2560 to 3072 in 128 Kb blocks

Regards

pH

Yes it is 32bit.  Will correct the userva line with the space as notated after "3GB".  So there is no redundant line in the boot.ini?

So there is no redundant line in the boot.ini?

No.  If you have XP32 bit, you use only the /3GB switch.  If you have Vista or Windows 7, you would only use the userva line.  See the following links - http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html and http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-enable-a-3GB-switch-on-Windows-Vista-Windows-7-or-Windows-XP-s.html.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks illegitimi and Jim!  I guess I've done about all the tweaking I can do w/ my system.

Slim

Jim

You can still use the userva line in Win XP 32-bit as it can set the VAS from 2.5GB to its maximum of 3GB (in 128Kb blocks) just using the /3GB switch will set the VAS to 3GB or 3072 and that may be too much for some systems.

Subparameters

/userva

Specifies an alternate amount of user-mode virtual address space for operating systems booted with the /3GB parameter.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556232(v=vs.85).aspx

With respect

pH

I have done as recommended and I see the 3gb switch in the boot menu but my up-down arrow keys are inop so I cannot select the 3gb boot option.  These keys work fine under Windows normally.  I updated the bios but that didn't make difference either way.

here's the current boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/3GB/ Userva=3072

Any suggestions as to what is causing the keys to be inop?