Sign in to follow this  
dutchman2

Windows 7 New Purchase / Install Today

I read that the retail package for Win7 stopped shipping last year.  I have XP and want to move over to Win7.  I figured it would be a good time as I am installing a new HD.  My primary use of the PC is Flight Sims and related web browsing.

The title on display at the various web-stores is always saying OEM. I want to get Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit, but the variations of the title out there is confusing.  I can buy a new build PC from my friendly vendor with Win7, but I want to keep my current E8500 and GTX650Ti and just overclock the puppy. 

All I want at the moment is the software changeover. Any help would be appreciated? 

The OEM version is technically meant for system builders.  Essentially, Microsoft provides no direct support for these versions, requiring that all support go through the builder. To quote Microsoft, "if you are building a PC for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you must purchase a full packaged retail product, not OEM system builder software."

You can google "Microsoft OEM Windows licensing" and the first few links should have more details on that for your reading pleasure.  Do people who build PCs for themselves (or, in your case, upgrade) order OEM copies of Windows?  Absolutely.  Is this legit?  Not as far as I can tell, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Since the "full package" isn't available, that leaves me hunting for the OEM version.  I am trying to find out how to tell if the package is a complete / fresh install Win 7/64 CD versus just an upgrade for the already installed XP or a Win 7 Service Pak. The pricing is all over the place and the titles/description is not all that informative.

Just get the cheapest one u can find? Doesn't matter if it's oem or not, just make sure it's a legit website.

Amazon gives a cross reference saying the Retail is not available for Win7 but the OEM 64 Bit SP1 for new install is on resale PC's is.

Forgive the dumb question but since this is basically for a new build PC for sale, is the install protocol the same where I need to call/go on line to activate it?  In other words, its not going to require some magic the PC shop has locally (tribal knowledge) to do for this software to run.  Amateur me,  I figure to stick the disc into the drive and it loads and runs............or not.

You install it as normal and after you get it installed you use the serial number that came with the DVD to activate it.  You will need an internet connection and you will probably have to install the LAN/Ethernet drivers for your motherboard off the motherboard DVD before you will be able to get internet access.

You can also buy Win7 OEM DVD's online from Software King.