Sign in to follow this  
rshepherd

Windows 8.1 and PMDG Verdict?

Only those who can't use win 8 hate it because they refuse to evolve with technology.

New isn't automatically better, there's no need to "evolve with technology" if that new technology doesn't offer that many real improvements. 

If it ain't broke why fix it? Good old Win 7 still does everything just as well as the new one & FSX has less issues with it.

W8 = miserable failure. Why do you think Ball Boy Ballmer got the boot?

And based upon which facts do you make this assumption? Windows 8.1 (I am NOT saying Windows 8.0) Is an OS with no more bugs than Windows 7 does, and in fact is faster than W7.. The fact that you tag W8(.1) as a "miserable failure" proves that you haven't even used it before, and also proves you take anything on the internet as truth. In that case, you shouldn't post such comments when you don't know anything about it.

I have to be completely honest with you, the Modern UI is not so easy to adapt to, but the only thing that has changed with Modern UI is the start menu,  which IMO, has improved A LOT above Win7 start menu. Much more customizable, much easier to search stuff.

And based upon which facts do you make this assumption? Windows 8.1 (I am NOT saying Windows 8.0) Is an OS with no more bugs than Windows 7 does, and in fact is faster than W7.. The fact that you tag W8(.1) as a "miserable failure" proves that you haven't even used it before, and also proves you take anything on the internet as truth. In that case, you shouldn't post such comments when you don't know anything about it.

I have to be completely honest with you, the Modern UI is not so easy to adapt to, but the only thing that has changed with Modern UI is the start menu, which IMO, has improved A LOT above Win7 start menu. Much more customizable, much easier to search stuff.

I couldn't agree with you more. +1. And I'm talking about the OS itself (has nothing to do with simulators). Win 8.1 is starting to look and feel like Win 7 in terms of stability and efficiency.

As for troyk, who thinks Microsoft fired Steve Ballmer after the release of Win 8 and Win 8.1, get your facts right buddy. You are, in fact, WRONG. While some speculates Microsoft forced Ballmer to retire, that is all conspiracy.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

To all you Monkey Boy Ballmer defenders in here, I'll just repeat what an astute and reputable PMDG representative stated in this very thread.

"We are not officially supporting Windows 8/8.1. There's just been too many problems reported ..."

To all you Monkey Boy Ballmer defenders in here, I'll just repeat what an astute and reputable PMDG representative stated in this very thread.

"We are not officially supporting Windows 8/8.1. There's just been too many problems reported ..."

Many users including myself have not experienced problems with 8.1. The fact you did not answer the current topics question shows you are a very disrespectful person. Just because Windows 8 does not work for you. You then cannot put a therefore and make the conclusion 8/8.1 is a failure. FSUIPC is quite cheap. I recall it costing less than FSX itself on amazon. There is even a free software the equvilante of the FSUIPC joystick section that is very easy to search up. I hav known FSX to freeze on windows 7. Mayeb you set up your FSX incorrectly and lack the certain permissions and options. So instead of attempting to represent every Windows 8 user to PMDG by saying it is a complete failure. Read the post saying Windows 8 has not given them any problems. 

Dane Quartel 

True. But your astute and reputable PMDG representative did NOT say:

"Why do you think Ball Boy Ballmer got the boot?" ~ troyk, on 30 Mar 2014 - 06:26 AM.

So yes. PMDG informed us that Win 8 will give us problems. They did not attack Ballmer directly. Just stating some facts.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Many users including myself have not experienced problems with 8.1.

And apparently many users have experienced problems (including me). Which is presumably why PMDG is not officialy supporting it. If you disagree, you should complain to PMDG not me.

So yes. PMDG informed us that Win 8 will give us problems. They did not attack Ballmer directly. Just stating some facts.

So?

And apparently many users have experienced problems (including me). Which is presumably why PMDG is not officialy supporting it. If you disagree, you should complain to PMDG not me.

Such as? I bought my cpu with Win 8 installed already then updated to 8.1. I presume you did the same if not stayed with 8. Anyway, why is it I have no problems but you do. I installed FSX in C drive; I gave it admin and all permissions; I have the UI core; and no problems but what was the joystick disconnect that is now fixed thanks to FSUIPC. 

Dane Quartel 

So?

So as my last post here - I'll just remind you that before you start attacking Ballmer, also remember that it was also Ballmer who brought you Windows 7 x64 in 2009, which powers most of our sims, including getting the recommendation from PMDG.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

So as my last post here - I'll just remind you that before you start attacking Ballmer, also remember that it was also Ballmer who brought you Windows 7 x64 in 2009, which powers most of our sims, including getting the recommendation from PMDG.

So instead of leveraging off W7 there is instead an attempt to kill off the traditional windows interface, and replace it with Metro - the "modern UI".  Made perfect sense didn't it. Oh wait, what is W8's market share now? Only slightly better than Vista last I heard. Ahaha.

FSUIPC is quite cheap. I recall it costing less than FSX itself on amazon.

Beside the point. The fact of just needing to purchase a 3rd party application to keep your joystick working is actually a fatal flaw.

So instead of leveraging off W7 there is instead an attempt to kill off the traditional windows interface, and replace it with Metro - the "modern UI".  Made perfect sense didn't it. Oh wait, what is W8's market share now? Only slightly better than Vista last I heard. Ahaha.

Beside the point. The fact of just needing to purchase a 3rd party application to keep your joystick working is actually a fatal flaw.

You avoided my question what problems you are/were having with Windows 8. I did not need to purchase FSUIPC but I did because of recommendations and the other features it has. There is a free tool allowing you to do the EXACT same joystick connection as FSUIPC. It is a tool called Don't lose your stick I think and it works as I have heard. So spending a little money to prevent something resulting in me restarting FSX. 

Dane Quartel 

You avoided my question what problems you are/were having with Windows 8.

Already stated.

There is a free tool allowing you to do the EXACT same joystick connection as FSUIPC. It is a tool called Don't lose your stick I think and it works as I have heard.

Doesn't work. Tried it. But even if it did I shouldn't need to use such a tool. So again you miss the point.

Already stated.

Doesn't work. Tried it. But even if it did I shouldn't need to use such a tool. So again you miss the point.

Why should not you use such a tool. It is very simple to set up (FSUIPC) and very reliable. Many other simmer suse it to map joysticks to different types of aircraft for flying. I would not want to use FSX default controls on a 4 engine jet. I would like to set up individual throttles. See FSUIPC is actually a benefit to the default FSX controls which are very simple and not supportive of new joysticks and yokes. If you 777 and 737 are freezing constantly. Obviously you have set something incorrect for your FSX. If I can fly both aircraft without any problems on the same OS you had. Then you have done something incorrect. 

Dane Quartel 

Why should not you use such a tool.

For the same reason I shouldn't need such a tool to be able to keep stearing my car propely.

Btw why are you complaining to me? You haven't quoted and challenged the PMDG representative once, and they make the decisions. Are you too scared to so instead resort to complaint by proxy?

Just curious.

For the same reason I shouldn't need such a tool to be able to keep stearing my car propely.

Btw why are you complaining to me? You haven't quoted and challenged the PMDG representative once, and they make the decisions. Are you too scared to so instead resort to complaint by proxy?

Just curious.

I am not complaining to anyone. I clearly stated a few posts of mine before I have no problems with Windows 8 and PMDG. You say why you need such a tool. I list a few benefits extra than just preventing my joystick from disconnecting. Then i ponder why I have no problems on my Windows 8 machine, and you do. I am trying to understand from you how you have set up FSX (installing and setting) to cause your aircraft freezing. Instead of reading what you want to read and not what I am trying to say. Why don't you work with people who have windows 8 running with FSX and PMDG without ANY problems, beside joystick which is fixed with FSUIPC. So I have now concluded you have installed either FSX incorrectly by not setting right permissions and where. Or you have setting to high and too demanding for you PC thus, causing FSX to freeze with such large cpu aircraft. Before you select a random quote and deem it the main point of my post right now. Read through it correctly please. We are civilized people at PMDG. We are not here to complain we are here to diagnose problems and attempt to fix with good help from other members.

Dane Quartel