Sign in to follow this  
rshepherd

Windows 8.1 and PMDG Verdict?

Windows 8.1 works with PMDG 737NGX and 777. Regarding variability of working or not working on win 8, simple browsing on this forum have the same result for any win version including win 7. I dare to say, the most problems here are on the machines with win 7. That does not mean that win 7 is not great os. Neither the problems in most (if not all) of the cases have root cause with os. But neither is win 8 garbage. 

If any history is teacher, win 9 will be win 8.1 with old ui (start menu, maybe even back to transparency). Changes under the hood, are here to stay, like they stayed for win 7 after Vista. Backward compatibility problems with old software is something to be present in the future versions of windows also. So, if ain't working with 8.1, be prepared that will have the same problems with win 9. That's developers problem and task to make it work on new os. Of course the easiest way is to say: that is garbage, don't use it. But that "solution" have short expiration date. Less than one year now.

Robert 

So, if ain't working with 8.1, be prepared that will have the same problems with win 9.

not necessarily we had some issues with software working with Vista, but with out patches, all of a sudden working with 7. 

I think it depends on how fast your system is.  If you have a fast system it would probably be ok but if you have an average system WIN 7 64 would probably be a better option.  Windows 8.1 has a lot of bells and whistles that use a lot of superfluous system resources.  Windows 7 64 bit is my preference as I have no issues with any add-on software.

I have Windows 8.1, FSX and PMDG (737-NGX and J41) Not a single problem to report at all. Works perfectly. 

I think the lesson we can all take from this is; Does what you have, hardware and software wise do what you want it to do? If the answer is yes, then whether you are running Win 7 or Win 8, is irrelevant. It works, and you can go flying. 

just saw this thread, donno how much has been discused. but for me 8.1 works without problems with pmdg aircrafts