Sign in to follow this  
rshepherd

Windows 8.1 and PMDG Verdict?

I am not complaining to anyone. I clearly stated a few posts of mine before I have no problems with Windows 8 and PMDG. You say why you need such a tool. I list a few benefits extra than just preventing my joystick from disconnecting. Then i ponder why I have no problems on my Windows 8 machine, and you do. I am trying to understand from you how you have set up FSX (installing and setting) to cause your aircraft freezing. Instead of reading what you want to read and not what I am trying to say. Why don't you work with people who have windows 8 running with FSX and PMDG without ANY problems, beside joystick which is fixed with FSUIPC. So I have now concluded you have installed either FSX incorrectly by not setting right permissions and where. Or you have setting to high and too demanding for you PC thus, causing FSX to freeze with such large cpu aircraft. Before you select a random quote and deem it the main point of my post right now. Read through it correctly please. We are civilized people at PMDG. We are not here to complain we are here to diagnose problems and attempt to fix with good help from other members.

THINK dude. If the astute people at PMDG do not recommend W8 because of "too many problems reported (and experienced by some of us on the team)" that statement I would assume is in reference to even recommended FSX install and setup procedure. But if you're not experiencing any problems, then good for you.

Oh wait, what is W8's market share now? Only slightly better than Vista last I heard. Ahaha.

When Win7 was released it's market share didn't jumped to 60% in one day. Rather it couldn't get past XP for years. So yes it takes time but your ignorance to this market fact shows you have ZERO knowledge about Windows.  

When Win7 was released it's market share didn't jumped to 60% in one day. Rather it couldn't get past XP for years. So yes it takes time but your ignorance to this market fact shows you have ZERO knowledge about Windows.  

After just 24 months Win7 had over 40% market share and had exclipsed XP.

After 16 months W8 and W8.1 are floundering at 6% and 4% respectively.

The much maligned Vista has 3% market share only slightly behind W8.1 (ahahaha)

XP is currently at 29.5%

The facts speaks for themselves. W8 is the worst operating system ever released by Microsoft and probably one of the worst and most user hostile modern OS's ever released by anyone. I know several people over the last year who have returned PC's that have W8 installed because they consider it unusable.

W8 is a giant xxxxx left by the incompetent Ballmer and the sooner it is flushed the better.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone take the Windows 8 discussion so personally. Did Windows 8.1 run off with your girlfriend or something?

W8 is the worst operating system ever released by Microsoft and probably one of the worst and most user hostile modern OS's ever released by anyone.

Someone forgot about Windows Millennium.

-Greg

And for the record, I totally expect MS to backtrack on all the junk that got put into Win8 when Win9 or whatever they call it comes out. There is a long standing pattern with Microsoft's OS releases where they alternate between great and junk that goes all the way back to the Win 3.1 days.

95 - had a lot of problems

98/98SE - great

Me - junk

XP - great

Vista - junk

7 - great

8 - junk

Judging by the pattern it's the next one that will be good, not Win 8.
History repeats itself over and over with this...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

You guys are forgetting something important. Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Personally I wouldn't use FSX with windows 8.1 there are just too many issues running this legacy software on a modern os, so I dual boot windows 7 and 8.1 on my machine with dedicated ssds for both. Windows 7 is solely for simming with all my planning, weather and chart tools along with the sim and aircraft, windows 8.1 gets used for everything else. My personal opinion is windows 8.1 is great, love the speed and now I have got used to the ui I am happy navigating using it but legacy support (as I expect) gets worse as things move on I am afraid.

Cheers

Craig Read

Craig Read, EGLL

After reading all posts in this thread, I came to a simple conclusion...

If you don't want to be OS dependent, switch to X-Plane... Got it on 8.1 and working perfectly.

Now the only thing missing is a PMDG product on it. :)

BTW, if you want to solve any W8 issue with joystick legacy issues, try this :

DLYS (Don't loose your stick)

This soft is simple and great at the same time. Not mine but would gladly recommend it !

Cheers

Yeah DLYS has solved all my problems! The FSX is running so great since I am using Win8(.1)! I used all Windows OS since 2000, but in my opinion is Win8 the best OS ever! I don't have any Addon that doesn't works with the FSX!

Thanks for your input guys... Although, I wasn't looking for a Windows 8.1 bashing session from the get go.

Seeing the responses here with many having no issues except for the joystick item I'm inclined to give it a shot and take the few days it usually does to do a clean install and then install FSX, add-ons, etc... One thing I have noticed and agree completely with others here, is that W8.1 does utilize memory and/or CPU cycles more efficiently and I am anxious to see for myself how that translates into FSX operation.

Thanks to those who also pointed out the DLYS fix...

I have a PC with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and everything runs smooth. I just moved to FSX from FS9, so I don't have many addons, but the NGX, CS757/727, and REX all run fine on my modest system (i5 @ 3.2Ghz, GTX 750ti, 6 gigs of RAM, 1TB HDD). I can even run FSX with DX10 and get a minimum of 18 fps with the CS757 :Shocked: which is still very playable... especially considering how bad the CS757 runs. So far, I haven't experienced any crashes with DX10 either. And don't forget, Windows 8 is easier on the CPU than 7, so that'll give you even more fps. My CH Products yoke and throttle controls also work fine!  :BigGrin:

I'm loving Windows 8. My PC boots up ridiculously fast (7 seconds w/ fast boot thing enabled) and my framerate seems to be better in most games compared to my friend's Windows 7 gaming PC (we both have similar specs). In fact, I get between 60 and 100 fps in BF4 with most settings on high  B)

However, there is one problem. Note that I have a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (new computer). Many people who upgraded from Windows 7 have experienced some problems with FSX... so it's all up to you. Your computer's really damn good so I wouldn't expect many problems

8.1 as a clean installation seems a lot more stable than 8.1 upgraded from 8, let alone upgraded from 7....

First let me start off by stating that I work in IT and this is my opinion on windows 8.1 your results may vary. Windows 8.1 ( from here on out called windows 8) hides features that make windows customizable, what hides at startup, processes that are running and configuration of how a processor handles the instructions. One could think that their computer is so much faster but what is happening is that the OS is dictating what should be a priority and not the user. This can cause issues with unloading of information. Thus causing joysticks to go missing, stuttering of frames if more than one program is running at the same time. Windows 8 removes information and processor loads when switching programs to make the program in the foreground run faster. Windows 8 is not designed for desktop users. It is designed for tablets. It is great for non intensive work and where the end user is not wanting to tweak the system for better performance. Windows 8 also groups processes together so when opening up task manager trying to find a process that is slowing down the system is grouped with other processes so one can look at task manager and think that only 6 processes( not programs) are running when in reality it could be as high as 50. 

First let me start off by stating that I work in IT and this is my opinion on windows 8.1 your results may vary. Windows 8.1 ( from here on out called windows 8) hides features that make windows customizable, what hides at startup, processes that are running and configuration of how a processor handles the instructions. One could think that their computer is so much faster but what is happening is that the OS is dictating what should be a priority and not the user. This can cause issues with unloading of information. Thus causing joysticks to go missing, stuttering of frames if more than one program is running at the same time. Windows 8 removes information and processor loads when switching programs to make the program in the foreground run faster. Windows 8 is not designed for desktop users. It is designed for tablets. It is great for non intensive work and where the end user is not wanting to tweak the system for better performance. Windows 8 also groups processes together so when opening up task manager trying to find a process that is slowing down the system is grouped with other processes so one can look at task manager and think that only 6 processes( not programs) are running when in reality it could be as high as 50. 

I am also in IT (own company)

I think the point is that 8, if used by someone with our (IT) knowledge, can be used for FSX with enough tweaks and registry fixes and so forth. BUT for the average user who does not know how or want to bother, 7 remains the better platform - for now.

After building my new system last Monday, it took me 7 hours to go from a blank OS to the point where pretty much everything was ready to go for FSX.

With the new CPU and Win 8.1 tweaked, I am getting 30fps locked pretty much anywhere, with both PMDG 777 and NGX. The joystick bug almost made me go back to 7, but I just set up a secondary PC to run virtual pilot client, EFB, etc etc, and that one is still running 7.

The topic here is: Window 8.1 and PMDG Verdict?

A member of the PMDG development team has reiterated PMDG's recommendations when it comes to installing their product on a W8.1 system and the reasons for that recommendation. That's good enough for me.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg