Sign in to follow this  
Brian Doney

Dusk/Night/Dawn FPS hit

You get into big trouble with 'Snave' if you don't

LOL! Now THAT'S funny! Simon has a way with words.

Thanx for gnawing away at this issue and getting some info!!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This is going to do something similar for sure... I've never had quite the hit from terrain alone, but when in combination, you have a recipe for disaster performance wise.

Just like the new Autogen system, these new shadows are at an early stage, and may benefit from further optimisation... I hope.

Alright, good news after doing some testing this evening.  To me it does not appear that mountains have the same fps effect as clouds.  I certainly do notice it with the clouds though, but I am confident that LM will be able to find a solution for this.  Maybe we may be able to find a work around in the meantime.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

We can can put some kind of sun angle check in the shaders or c++ and early out of cloud rendering into the shadow maps. The trick would be doing it without a glaring visual pop when the shadows turn on/off. I think at that angle the smaller shadow cascades like the one what surrounds the aircraft is shadowed by every cloud between it and the horizon and most of them are full screen size in that view because it doesn't have perspective. The shadow views are 2048 targets to a full screen cloud is a 4 mega-pixel raster and you could have hundreds of those in the first couple cascades

Beau Hollis

Rendering System Lead - Prepar3D® Team

Also we did reproduce the perf hit on lights and it looks like it may be CPU-side but we need to do some more digging. Thanks for posting this.

Beau Hollis

Rendering System Lead - Prepar3D® Team

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6363

Regards,

Brian Doney

Potential good news on both counts it seems Brian :smile:

More work for them to do :lol:

This is good news that LM are looking at this and will code a solution.  I have to say, isn't it great that the user community can bring up issues to the dev team and LM responds.  I am quite impressed. 

To those who say that P3D is "just" basically FSX with a couple of features, I say, the biggest feature that P3D has is support.  It is not just a pile of code that requires work arounds to continue to bring life into it, rather it is code that has an active and well directed human support that continues to grow the platform.  This platform has life and that is the most important feature to me.  Ok, off my soapbox now.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

This platform has life and that is the most important feature to me. Ok, off my soapbox now.

You can stay on that soap box ALL you want Mike! I and I am sure many others fully agree!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors