Sign in to follow this  
Valar

FPS problem with AMD systems?

Hi guys

I really love P3D and especially the new update, but I'm once again facing problems with FPS. Seems its a neverending story in flightsims :-(

I have an all AMD system, FX 9370 EightCore CPU, with a 290X Graphics Card, 8 GB RAM, Win 8.1, running the 14.3 catalyst drivers.

I'm looking at single digit FPS over Norcal with Rob A's settings. Even dialing down stuff (view distance, autogen etc) doesn't seem to help much.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

And a few pics to illustrate:

Screenshot%202014-04-09%2016.51.26.png

One more from the settings screen:

Screenshot%202014-04-09%2017.05.07.png

there's a fix called:  NVIDIA :lol:  :Just Kidding:   try and upgrade one day to see the difference.  I was always and AMD person until I tasted NVIDIA.  Never going back!

there's a fix called:  NVIDIA :lol:  :Just Kidding:   try and upgrade one day to see the difference.  I was always and AMD person until I tasted NVIDIA.  Never going back!

Heh, yeah, my other gaming system is an Intel CPU with a GTX680 and I guess I'm leaning towards what you're saying. Still I like the idea of there being someone challenging Intel and Nvidia in the market :-)

DCS-sims also run very badly on AMD systems. Eaglesoft says its because DCS is a DX9 product and that AMD have dropped support for DX9 in their new drivers. Hard to tell what is up and down in that discussion.

But what is certain is that more than 25% of gaming machines on Steam are AMD/ATI rigs.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

Still, any ideas would be most appreciated.

I hate to say it, but it isn't the 290X, it's the 9370.

P3Dv2 has improved multi-threading to a certain degree, but overall it is still heavily dependent on single threaded performance. I have run FSX and P3Dv2 on my main intel rig, and my 4.8Ghz 8350 rig, and their just is no contest.

And no, AMD have not dropped DX9 support in their drivers. The only real benefit nv still holds are the combined AA modes, which are quite nice, but even those aren't such a big deal any more.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I hate to say it, but it isn't the 290X, it's the 9370.

P3Dv2 has improved multi-threading to a certain degree, but overall it is still heavily dependent on single threaded performance. I have run FSX and P3Dv2 on my main intel rig, and my 4.8Ghz 8350 rig, and their just is no contest.

And no, AMD have not dropped DX9 support in their drivers. The only real benefit nv still holds are the combined AA modes, which are quite nice, but even those aren't such a big deal any more.

That is bad news indeed :-(

Do you have any recommendations as to which setting are the worst on AMD CPU's?

I wish it were that easy.

You'll likely have to keep your LOD radius and autogen/scenery complexity settings rather low, and any kind of AI traffic is most likely not going to be an option. After that, it's more a matter of what you are willing to compromise.

You're going to have to start sliders left and work your way up.

On the bright side, the 290X will allow you to enjoy the newer features of P3Dv2 without issue, once you can balance the rest for your CPU.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I do not see such poor performance on my AMD system.

I run a piledriver 8 core, overclocked to 4.5 ghz. I have the 7950 GPU with 3 gig. 14.3 CCC drivers, win 7.1 64 bit 16 gig memory.

I run 1920x1080 on the main monitor and 1280x1024 on the 2nd monitor. I use eyefinity.

I am pretty happy with my p3d I have all sliders half way or further to the right. I use 15% car traffic, normal clouds, HDR lighting, clouds reflect on ground (v2.2) and auto gen vegetation dense to extreme dense for terrain flying. I lock my frame rates to 24 or 30 depending on how many buildings I have auto generated as well. with unlimited I get jumpy frame rates from 24-50 changing wildly, so I dont run well with unlimited.

In Manhattan I see low 12-14 fps but never have dropped into single digits. I fly a maul most of the time. I have LOD set to 6.5 as well. I do not get blurries and minimal stutters. ( i say minimal because with v2.2 If I add HDR, I see big stuttery jumps when I pan the view, then things settle down to smoothness. As if it is taking to long to get the data off my harddrive) I have not worked out the problem yet.

I could post my cfg file and specific in game settings if you wish.

Did you install the new AMD drivers for bulldozer and piledriver?

I think your system should run similar to mine or better, as you have a newer video card.

I also followed the AMD chart for radeonpro that is on this website and gained a lot of smoothness overall.

-Stampee