Sign in to follow this  
rfresh737

Detailed Fuel Planning - Tutorial #2

Detailed fuel planning is covered in Tutorial #2 on pages 35 to 40.

I am making a spreadsheet to fill in some manual data and have it calculate the total fuel loads, as described in this manual. This means I am adding fuel for taxi, APU usage, contingency fuel, go-around fuel, etc. All the extra fuel exactly as covered on these pages.

But I see a major omission: where is the alternate airport fuel? There is no discussion of alternate airport fuel required.

I realize there are tools that do this already and I do use vroute.info which I like a lot, but I wanted to create a spreadsheet to go through the mental exercise of manual fuel planning.

(I did a search in Tutorial #2 and the phrase "alternate fuel" was not found).

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There's a whole subsequent section on pages 41-45 for calculating the fuel needed for the alternate diversion route... it gets added to the calculation from pages 35-40 to create the total figure. I did this 100% according to the ICAO rules, nothing is left out. The tutorial is intended to be read straight through as a guide while sitting there actually doing this - not cherry picked for specific phrases. Just because I didn't use the phrase "alternate fuel" doesn't mean it isn't there and you should go start posting aggressively about how I made "major omissions." Sorry, but this just ticks me off a bit - I put a ton of work into these documents and I can't help it if people don't use them as intended.

My apologies Ryan. When I came to page 40, it just looked like the end of the subject matter to me. I was busy trying to finalize my spreadsheet. Obviously I should have looked ahead to make sure.