Sign in to follow this  
jwillyf

OBS not working

I am trying to get to grips with VOR navigation in the FSX Cessna 172.

However when I tune into a known VOR frequency that is within the VOR's range, there is no OBS needle activity, and I cannot get an ident. Am I missing something really fundamental?

Incidentally I do have the Nav/GPS button in the NAV position.

Are you saying when you turn the knob thro' 360 deg there is no response? If the flag is showing your not in range.

You dial in the freq in the right window and you must switch it to the left window to make it active.

Dave

Also to check it's working click the NAV1 button on the audio panel at the top of the radio stack. If you hear morse code the navaid is working.

Also what navaid is it? It may only be DME (distance measuring equipment).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for the replies. The last comment about what sort of navaid is it, got me thinking. In fact when I checked, I was trying to tune into a Tacan and not a VOR. As soon as I switched to a true VOR, everything works fine.

Thanks again

What was the name of the navaid and frequency? I'm curious because you couldn't accidentally tune a TCN only navaid - they use channels usually two numbers. Perhaps it was a VORTAC?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi. Maybe I am confusing my terminology, but that was how it was described on a web page I found after a search.

It was LOO (Linton on Ouse) in the UK on 109 mHz. I'd be glad to hear of your conclusions

John

On skyvector it looks like a VORTAC... it would have DME (comes from the tacan UHF signal), a military aircraft with tacan equipment could get an azimuth (bearing) or a civilian plane could get the radial. It's a all in one navaid.

You're saying it doesn't work? What does it show in map view on FSX?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

FSX map shows a square box with a central dot. Beside is written LOO, 109 mHz, Linton on Ouse.

Tuning to this frequency produces no needle deflection in the OBS, and no ident on clicking on Nav1.

By contrast, tuning to MCT, Manchester, a VOR close by, frequency 113.55, produces both OBS needle deflection and ident morse signal.