Sign in to follow this  
47driver

P3D terrain mesh & textures

Starting a new build and trying to plan which addon software I will use.

What I ask from you guys is your preference of P3D 2.2 compatible current environmental addons. Rex4 seems the no-brainer for wx & cloud textures.

How about terrain mesh & scenery?

I'm not looking for specific locations or geodrawn Orbx or Megascenery textures; more like the stuff FSGenesis/GEX/UTX used to do for FSX in terms of nice looking ground gen and accurate mesh altitudes. What seems to be working the best for you so far?

I would strongly recommend the following combination: all products are p3d-ready and designed to work together:

Orbx ftx global base

Orbx ftx vector

Pilot's FS Global mesh

+ Orbx openlc, when it comes out.

I know you said 'not orbx', but ftx global is a product similar to GEX (base) and UTX (vector), not a region-specific scenery.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I love orbx, I just didnt know they are now making global stuff too. Thats awesome...

A useful summary of the various FTX products: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

Another thing worth mentioning is that FTX Global Vector is continually being improved - for example, their upcoming 1.2 version will have much more detailed data for North America - and I believe they have no plans to charge for these incremental upgrades.  So while it may seem a bit expensive compared to UTX, remember that it covers the whole globe and is very actively being improved.

Also, Orbx have really embraced P3Dv2, perhaps more so than any other company.  As well as the Global line, most of their regions and some of their airports have already been converted (at no additional charge), and they're working on the rest.  So you can be sure that you will get good support on the new platform.

Just to make sure: The Pilot's FS Global 2010 is the one I want for the mesh, correct?

"Just to make sure: The Pilot's FS Global 2010 is the one I want for the mesh, correct? "

If you all ready have FSGenesis you can use that I am

Rich Sennett

"Just to make sure: The Pilot's FS Global 2010 is the one I want for the mesh, correct? "

If you all ready have FSGenesis you can use that I am

Thanks, that was my next question. I do still have the FS Genesis world mesh disks that I bought 5 years ago.

LOL, I've lost my FS Genesis disks... with the change over it looks like I'm going to have to re-buy them I'm sorry to say... I tried contacting them to see if I would be able to re-download it, but no answers as of a week so far...

I would strongly recommend the following combination: all products are p3d-ready and designed to work together:

Orbx ftx global base

Orbx ftx vector

Pilot's FS Global mesh

+ Orbx openlc, when it comes out.

I know you said 'not orbx', but ftx global is a product similar to GEX (base) and UTX (vector), not a region-specific scenery.

Is that the correct order ... ? I just have the base now.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

base - mesh - vector - is how I would play that one but doesnt matter really - its all going to cost you a bundle :)

Rich Sennett

base - mesh - vector - is how I would play that one but doesnt matter really - its all going to cost you a bundle :)

Ok, thanks for confirming.

I purchased a lotto ticket today!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Ok, thanks for confirming.

I purchased a lotto ticket today!

LOL good one Vaughan - good luck with that :)

Rich Sennett