Sign in to follow this  
sueede

More memory for FSX causes Win8 shut down and restart

No common CTD, unfortunately, to which there seem to be solutions.

In my case: I have run Win 8.1 with 2x2Gb of DDR3 1333 memory for a while and flown FSX Gold SP2 as well without any serious issues; a little low framerates at LFPG, EDDF and ESSA though.

Equiped with Gigabyte GTX660 / AMD Phenom II x4 3,2Ghz /Windows 8.1. Sliders in the middle, but for scenery complexety where the slider's at max.

In hope to get more flow I installed 4x2Gb of DDR3 1333 memory (same brand and batch). The computer and Win 8.1 starts, but 20 seconds after I start FSX the computer shuts down and restarts.

I have tried a suggestion I found in a forum, to start FSX without the FSX.cfg to get a new one for the new configuration, but to no avail.

After I tried with 2x2Gb memory sticks from one vendor together 2x2 two from another and the same result I have deduced that the memory sticks are not the problem. But I don't have knowledge enough or ingenouity enoght to make clever enough searches on the net so - is there someone willing to share experience and knowledge about this odd memory issue?

I see a lot of people discussing the point of installing 8Gb of memory for FSX, but no one seems to have had my experience of the machine and OS shutting down.

Thanks,

Tommy Engman

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In my case: I have run Win 8.1 with 2x2Gb of DDR3 1333 memory for a while and flown FSX Gold SP2 as well without any serious issues; a little low framerates at LFPG, EDDF and ESSA though.

You cannot have SP2 installed with FSX Gold. FSX Gold includes Acceleration and FSX SP1. Acceleration was released long before SP2 was released as Acceleration was payware and SP2 was freeware but coded differently so you cannot use the payware aircraft and other things in Acceleration. So, if you installed SP2, that is your problem.

Your memory installation appears to be the problem. If I understand correctly, you got rid of the 2x2GB memory (total of 4GB's) and replaced them with 4 2GB simms equaling 8 GB's but later on you talk about discussing the installation of 8GB's of memory. When you install new memory simms, you must make sure it is being read properly by your BIOS. You can do this without opening your BIOS by downloading and running a program like CPU-Z. On the memory tab it will show you what's installed; then, on the SPD tab, you will see what frequencies and timings are appropriate with your computer. If the timings do not match what's on the memory tab, then you will have to go into the BIOS and manually change it. Most of the time, your computer BIOS will read your memory properly and set the proper timings but you need to make sure. You need to make sure the memory in each slot is being read by your BIOS properly. If the Simm was not installed properly, it won't register so check each slot using the SPD tab of the CPU-Z.

Best regards,

Thanks for an informative answer.

I was wrong about the FSX version - it was De Luxe with SP2, not the Gold version. So thats OK.

I checked the memory config in EasyTune6 by Gigabyte, and it seemed OK there. But I will make a check with the BIOS and see if there´s something to correct there and if I can make this machine work with 8Gb.

But it seems strange that the problem should arise with FSX only. I put on ADEx and FCCommander, and there were no problems.

Now - to memory work! Thanks again.

Tommy

Reporting that the CPU-Z tool shows the exact same values for all four memories. Right now without FSX started I now and again find that some keystrokes don't register as a consequence of four memory modules 2Gb each.

Other than that...

Regards.

You need to download and run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html. Copy and paste the results of the latest crash here.

We also have an excellent AVSIM CTD Guide which provides more info about the AppCrashView, Event Viewer, and some basic things you can do to investigate and find the problem to your crashes. If I could see what module might have caused your crash, it might help in finding a solution.

Best regards,