Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

What I envision XPlane 11 will look like

"Computers are funny beasts.  A million years ago, about 1980 or so, I paid 4K for a 286 machine, which was a complete dinosaur.  The hard drive was minuscule, the ram nearly non-existent, I think maybe 256mb or some such, and a black and white monitor.  It ran DOS.  Boy, was I thrilled.

Someday the machines we pay all the money for now will be the subject of a hearty laugh.

Reminds me of the early days of the wild west, when people drove their wagons across the prairies.   Likely they were PLENTY proud of THOSE WHEELS, back in the day!"

Super post Robert - you crack me up - always a pleasure  :drinks: 

Rich Sennett

Computers are funny beasts. A million years ago, about 1980 or so, I paid 4K for a 286 machine, which was a complete dinosaur. The hard drive was minuscule, the ram nearly non-existent, I think maybe 256mb or some such, and a black and white monitor. It ran DOS. Boy, was I thrilled.

Someday the machines we pay all the money for now will be the subject of a hearty laugh.

Reminds me of the early days of the wild west, when people drove their wagons across the prairies. Likely they were PLENTY proud of THOSE WHEELS, back in the day!

Cheers!

The best summary of the good old times of FS2 and Sublogic ATP hardware. But it was fun. Sometimes I think I had more fun than today. We should be more grateful about what we have today. Good one, Robert.

Computers are funny beasts.  A million years ago, about 1980 or so, I paid 4K for a 286 machine, which was a complete dinosaur.  The hard drive was minuscule, the ram nearly non-existent, I think maybe 256mb or some such, and a black and white monitor.  It ran DOS.  Boy, was I thrilled.

Ha ha so true,I remember back in the 80s my father paying something like €300 for a 64k (yep kb) memory expansion. Unbelievable though, how much you could actually do with that 64kb back then, compared to what 64kb is today (even the header of simple files takes up that amount of space). 

80s era remember 5 1/2 floppys to install games. FS 4.0 was 16 colors I remember and getting 256 color monitor was a big thing in late 80s as it was luxury item.

Yes- the early days of PCs were heady times.  Logging onto a BBS with our 300-baud modem and taking 30 minutes to download a 56k file!

We are so spoiled now- with machines that can process Millions of Instructions (MIPS) per second.  The Wikipedia article referenced herein vividly shows the quantum leap in processor power since the 80s. It dazzles to think of what PCs may be capable of once fiber optic networks allow us to link up to supercomputers remotely.

Flight Simulation could make a HUGE jump in such a model.  Think MS Flight on steroids.  And the VR headsets in 20 years time?  Mind-boggling.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

"Yes- the early days of PCs were heady times."

My Buddy Steve from Ideal Flight may have hit on something - He mentioned maybe disabling dual-bios and my board happens to have a switch on the motherboard and I turned it off and 2 cold day starts so far no boot problem so thought I would give you an update - hope thats it - take care.

Rich Sennett

"Yes- the early days of PCs were heady times."

My Buddy Steve from Ideal Flight may have hit on something - He mentioned maybe disabling dual-bios and my board happens to have a switch on the motherboard and I turned it off and 2 cold day starts so far no boot problem so thought I would give you an update - hope thats it - take care.

I suspected something to do with the BIOS, hope that's it!  Maybe  you can go back to 32GB?

Thanks for the update!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

"I suspected something to do with the BIOS, hope that's it!  Maybe  you can go back to 32GB?"

Hi Robert - I sent back ram and got these platinums so when money allows I would only use these in 32 gig form as they are the best most stable ram I ever had

Thank you

Rich Sennett

Hey Rich,

Gotcha.  Glad you figured out the dual-bios issue.  Nice job!

Safe Flight!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Thanks Robert so far so good - hope it stays that way :) - take care

Rich Sennett