Sign in to follow this  
planemaddan

How true is the wing flex?

Hi all,

Just done my first flight after downloading her tonight an I must say she is a very addictive aircraft to fly.

My first thought's are that she is a little sloppy in the turns but hey I soon adjusted to her.

The only thing I have is that the WIng flex seem's to be a bit over the top on certain views but to be fair I don't care I just love this plane well worth the cost.

PS I know it's off topic but does anyone have the bmp wing files for the NGX as I have the dreaded blocky wings.

It is realistic, you may have seen a lot of flex because you had a small amount of fuel in the wings.

Its actually the opposite...the wings flex more when there is more fuel (or closer to MTOW with either high payload and/or fuel).

The wingflex is quite accurate planemaddan, just google 777 wingflex and click the "Images" link.  You'd be amazed how much they flex when she's heavy (and/or in turbulence).  It looks almost unnatural, but they actually do flex over the fuse when she's at MTOW and rotating for liftoff.  There is a really good pic of a Delta 777 in that configuration.  We don't link or post Airliners.net photos here or I'd just post it for you to see. :wink: 

Welcome to the forum...and congrats on buying the best plane ever created for flightsim....she's all I fly now!

Regards,

Steve Dra 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I was on the 787-8 last week from MDPC - EGPF, at the wing, and noticed the awesome flex! Great holiday too! :)

On the ground the plane is of course supported on the undercarriage therefore all of the wing from the undercarriage to the tip is a cantilever. This means that the wing will tend to flex downwards. This will be more pronounced when taxiing for take off and less noticeable after landing (due to the fuel in the wings being used during flight). In flight the wings of course supports the fuselage (inc the centre fuel tank). The weight of the fuselage produces a downward moment at each wing root causing the wing to flex upwards. The reason that the fuel in the centre tank is always used first is to decrease this moment and therefore the load on the wings.