Sign in to follow this  
virginblue737

Bufferpools ( Locked FPS in sim )

Okay guys, 

so with abit of tweaking, i have seem to when i lock fsx at 30 in the sim, it maintains a good 29.9 ish fps. 

I have one question though. I have followed a tweaking guide that says you should set this : 

UsePools=0 
RejectThreshold=102400 
PoolSize=200000000

For locked fps is it better to to have what i have above or this : 
UsePools=0  / Poolsize=0

Any thoughts?

Hello,

The statements you have in your cfg file are mutually exclusive: If you state UsePools=0, then - by definition - the poolsize is 0. So, either you set UsePools=1 and define a poolsize and an rth, or you set it to 0. The choice between the settings has no relation with locking framerate, but rather with the quality of your graphics card and the CPU and the interaction between them. When using pools, finding the right settings for the size and the rth is a delicate subject and usually requires testing. There is a lot of info on this forum and elsewhere on this matter. I suggest you do a search for "Bufferpools" or "Poolsize".

Kind regards,

Rene

If your system runs well with no crashes or issues with UsePools=0 on its own then there should be no need to bother with the following lines:

RejectThreshold=102400 
PoolSize=200000000

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Finding the right mix is very important. If you have a good machine and set pools to on and set it wrong you will lose performance simply because of the setting, it will always induce stutters on a good machine as your introducing a limiter so to speak to cap the GPU from being overloaded. I prefer to tweak for BP=0 and concentrate on getting things stable with the best mix of ingame settings. I find it way too difficult to set a pool size with such a huge range of conditions that can occur in FSX. For example running the PMDG T7 will introduce a much greater load on the system than for example the Level-D 767. It might be risky therefore to use BP=0 with the PMDG on certain systems but for some it is fine. Locking FPS though I don't think really has any bearing on things but rather changing settings does. Still if things are stable and good for you then there is no reason to alter things unless you aren't happy.

Personally I feel on a relatively mid-high performance machine there is no need to lock FPS internally nor is there any need to have pools set to on. Still locking externally though prevents stutters should your FPS go above the monitor refresh rate which can easily happen inflight. Any other setting with internal FPS locks or similar for me just reduce general performance and does not seem to have any bearing on stability either. Having an external lock rather than an internal lock just tricks FSX into thinking it can run free which is a good thing on a good machine. It all depends on the spec!

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg