Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

When should I handfly the T7?

Hi, Imran,

It is not standard procedure to turn on the AT only after takeoff and turn it off before landing.  On takeoff, you lose thrust control particularly if you want to do a derated takeoff.  You also lose the automatic shift from takeoff to climb thrust.  On landing, you add work for the pilot that the AT is perfectly capable of doing.  Unlike some Boeings, leaving the autothrottle on does not lock in the approach speed (thus preventing engine spool-down) during flare and roll-out, even w/out an autoland.

Mike

Hi Mike might not be SOP's but its how I prefer do fly all my VA flights, my personal pref not you mentioned the shift from Takeoff to CLB thrust may leave it on...

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

The SP1 FBW revisions have really upped the handflyability (is that a word? it is now) of the 777. Unless I have good reason to, I generally hand fly until at least when the aircraft has stabilized at the computed climb speed above 10,000ft. On occasion I will hand fly to cruise, but it's useful to get the AP engaged and manage all the other things like after takeoff checklists, the 10,000ft flows, altimeter settings etc. You're a one-man crew after all!

Two of my favourite approaches are the RNAV offset approaches into LFMN. You approach from the south and have to go manual at 2000ft and execute about a 50 degree turn onto final while managing the profile visually and looking for the PAPI's. The SP1 improvements REALLY shine here, and I would encourage everyone to put it on their "fly-to" lists for post release!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg