Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Ram upgrade - Need some advice

Hi guys,

My PC which is dedicated to running FSX only, ......  currently has 8gb of ram (2 x 4gb)

I was wondering if you think I would see any benefit in FSX by upgrading to 16gb or 32gb RAM

My current specs are:

Sandybridge i7 2600k, Windows 7 64bit,   ASUS sabertooth M/board,   8gb Corsair Vengeance ram,   Nvidia GTX 590,   SSD's

Many Thanks for your help and advice

John

I was wondering if you think I would see any benefit in FSX by upgrading to 16gb or 32gb RAM

Not really, no

Highest RAM usage with FSX on my system has been about 6 GB. (That includes the OS RAM usage and all the other stuff running in the background.)

The VAS limit (4 GB) can't be overcome by physical RAM anyway.

So, no, 8 GB is perfect.

You could get yourself a RAM cache program to temporarily store textures and such when you fly. This should reduce blurries because RAM is much faster than a SSD as well as a hard drive. Smaller files read at 1 GBps compared to my SSD which is around 20 MBps. A regular hard drive would read most texture files at around 1 MBps or less, especially if it's fragmented. Doesn't do much for FPS though. Just need to set the RAM size you want to use, cache strategy (read, write, or both), and you should be good.

Ram does help in other ways though, so don't stick around with just 8GB. Nowadays, that is on the low side of memory size for computers.

Sure that FSX/P3D or whatever only uses just so much, but what of the other programs you use along side it? How many monitors do you have and what programs do you run? Is FSX the only game program you really use?

Running ASN, TrackIR, P3Dv2, Multiple Chrome windows, Music sometimes when I fly, and others that I open and close on my monitors at the same time do need more than the minimum Ram sometimes, and having a good overhead is not a bad thing. Speed of the Ram is also important.

I noticed a overall improvement in my rig when I upped my Ram.