Sign in to follow this  
denali

5m Resolution FSEarthTiles Sectionals for High Altitudes

Don't know if this is the place for them.  These are FSEarthTiles.ini files for all the Sectionals of the continental US, along with their corresponding KML files.  They are about 10 to 15GB each (not counting the working folders, which you delete when finished).

But it is relevant here as I think there is a way through the P3D API to have different scenery load at different altitudes.  Don't quote me on this, but I am a very stubborn too, so "if there is a will".   

I am considering getting a devs license for Prepar3d.  Will that actually give me any extra help, maybe through forum access, that I wouldn't have with just the pro?

What exactly is this posting? Are these actual links to ortho scenery or do you still need to purchase that part elsewhere?

Sorry. New to ortho in P3d

Thanks

I'm not sure what ortho scenery is.  FSEarthTiles [FSET] is a program that you can use to make photorealistic scenery for FSX/P3D.   I have made INI files for FSET that you can load by dragging and dropping them into FSET.  They will download and create photo scenery at 5m resolution of an entire Sectional.  Each sectional takes maybe 30GB of HD space to create, and is about 10-15GB when complete.  The scenery can be used with a high res mesh to make very realistic views out the window at higher altitudes, > 10,000 agl or so.  But they're not too bad overall.  

You can use FSET to get down to a much higher resolution, 1/3 meter, which is ideal for even a few hundred feet.  But you do lose all of the autogen when doing so.  Buildings roads and airports that are not autogen will show, even lights. Also land and water is not distinguished, the water is a photo as well.   That is why it's better at higher altitudes.  

Where does one get FSET?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It's funny you are trying this for P3D, i am big into photoscenery and was wondering about LODs and how they display as well. I did all of Yemen at 5M and it looks outstanding with detailed mesh, but only at high altitude (great for Mil jets) and as usual quality sat imagery below 5M is hit or miss at best. I did do a small airport on top of the 5m imagery that is at .5 m hoping FSX would display the highest resolution first, with less than favorable results.

Ed, the link is in this thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/365949-fsearthtiles-updated-version/

Best, Michael

KDFW

I have every sectional, and it works very nicely, even not so bad at 6k agl or less.   If you put the higher resolution in your scenery at a higher level it will show first.  I have almost a state's worth of 1/3 meter resolution scenery, a couple states worth of 1 meter resolution, scattered throughout where I like to fly.