Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

Urgent call to any who believe in preserving history

Guest CX001

Hello everyoneThe Launch Utility Tower #1 which serviced Apollo 8, Apollo 11, Apollo 13, among several other launches is very near to being scrapped at this very moment. This struture is greater than 400' tall, and was built to service Saturn Vs launching both Apollo payloads, and Skylab. This is truly a one of a kind structure, and is very important historically. Yesterday, NASA was going to start cutting work on scrapping it, but a group i am with has managed to stave them off for the moment. This is not the first time that LUT #1 has been at the 11th hour(about the third time). For many years i've been with a group who have been trying to save this structure so that some day soon it can be rebuilt/restored as a permanenet monument to the greatest human adventure ever.... going to the Moon. This is the last complete LUT out of three(the other two were partially scrapped, and partially incorporated into the current shuttle launch facilities). It wouldn't be just a memorial to the astronauts, but far more to to the thousands of people all over the world who assisted in making the dream come true, from the families to the people who designed, built, tested, and flew the equipment. Vikings withstanding, what would be the value of the dock today from which Columbus sailed if people back then had thought to preserve it? This structure, in it's great height, symbolizes one, if not the greatest application of human learning and skill for a peaceful cause. "We came in peace, for all mankind."Please visit this pages below and read and sign the petition in the second link.http://www.savethelut.orghttp://www.petitiononline.com/LUT/Thank you

Christopher, I signed the petition. It is an important artifact... Thanks for bring it to my attention.DannyCYVR

Guest CX001

Thanks Danny. Every single signing helps. :D

Guest tgabriel

It is almost offensive that we go so far to preserve buildings all over this country that have historical significance, even if only to the local community they are located in. To ignore this national treasure is criminal. Not surprising, however.

Guest ba747heavy

I signed the petition. Many kudos to you you work to preserve such an important piece of history.