Sign in to follow this  
chatman

Using Coolie-Hat Like Right Mouse Button In External View?

Hi!

I'm trying to find  a way to use the coolie-hat like the right mouse button in external view (e.g. chase-view)

In virtual cockpit mode it works but I don't know how to do it in external views.

This way it would work like in FSX and I prefer this kind of view-control.

Second question: is there a way cycle vies (like in FSX)?

Thank you!

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

In external mode, the view can be controlled with the keyboard arrows.. somewhat.  I'm sure they can be programmed into other switches, but I'm out of room on the controllers.

Cycling views can be done with the Pilot View plug-in I understand.  I use TrackIR and it pretty much disables cycling views, even in the Carenado aircraft which have them built in to the individual planes.

John

John Wingold

Thanks John, I'll give it a try!

Mapping the arrow keys to the hat might interfere with other views i fear but I'll see if it helps. Still don't understand why LR won't adapt the much more user friendly view-controls from FS

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

If you follow the guidelines in that "How to Fly in 3D cockpit mode" link (in the other thread here), you'll have your main hat switch set up like this:

general/up
general/down
general/right
general/left

Then set one of your other buttons (or use the keyboard) to this:

view/chase

Hit that button for external Chase view, and the hat switch should pan horizontally and vertically around your aircraft at the center of the view.

Program another button pair for "general/forward" and "general/backward" to zoom in and out. And then one more button set to "view/3d_cockpit_cmnd_look" to return to the cockpit. You could also use "general/zoom_in" and "general/zoom_out" for this.

Using the hat switch this way won't interfere with the way it works in the 3D cockpit, as long as you're using the "general" views.

If you haven't figured it out already, when you go to the "Buttons Adv" tab on the Joystick and Equipment dialog, you can push a button on your joystick and it will show whatever the current programmed function is, or let you set a new function. It's easy once you get used to the interface.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I have all the above programmed for those times when I start up without starting TrackIR first, but I have become spoiled with TrackIR5.  When using TrackIR, it disables all the other "view" functions and takes over with head movements.  Quite nice really!

John

John Wingold

I like TrackIR too, although I mainly use it just for takeoff and landing, glancing over to the side window to keep the runway in view on the downwind leg, etc. Once I'm in cruise, I usually disable it and use the joystick switches for moving and panning. It's a little easier to mouse click on the smaller, more touchy cockpit buttons and switches when the view is static.

In cruise, I'm usually off doing something else in another Window anyway, like checking the flight plan or Web surfing. So it's nice to come back to wherever I left the static view. Then TrackIR goes back on for landing. On shorter flights, especially in helicopters, I have TrackIR on all the time. No time to relax in a helicopter.  :P

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks Paraffin, works fine! :)