Sign in to follow this  
mukiwa

Nvidia Graphics Card Advice

Good Day,

My old asus matrix gtx 285 has finally given up after a couple of weeks of massive usage spikes and BS shut downs.

I have been offered a new gigabyte gtx 750 oc (N750OC 2GI the one with only 1 fan) at a very good price of EU 107.50.

Can anyone comment as to whether this gigabyte card will adequately replace the matrix gtx 285.

My system--

P8Z77M-PRO M/B

I5 2500K cpu(oc to 4.3)

8gb ram

antec kulher

Seagate 1tb hdd

The system is only used for FS (fsx and fs2004 )

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike

"adequately replace the matrix gtx 285" I would say yes as the 285 is so old at this point that even the budget 750 will out perform the old 285.

Just realize you will be giving up allot in quality of build and features.

Tom's had this to say about the 750

Fastest Card Without A Power InputWhile the Radeon R7 260X offers similar performance for considerably less money, gamers who want to upgrade an entry-level PC with a low-output power supply may consider the GeForce GTX 750 Ti, which is rated at 60 W (a little more than half of the 260X's 115 W). Nvidia suggests you use at least a 300 W power supply with this card. That's a very low bar to set for owners of low-end machines. You don't even need a six-pin auxiliary connector. The GTX 750 Ti doesn't earn a full recommendation for value, but it just may be the best option for gamers upgrading old or small form factor system

While the 750 will adequately replace the 265 and is an OK choice for budget minded builds with little room and low power (i.e. a Home Theater PC system) for a dedicated FS2004 / FSX system (with upward capability for XPlane X or P3D2) then a 760 or a Radeon R9 280 would be my choice for entry level FS performance.

for a dedicated FS2004 / FSX system (with upward capability for XPlane X or P3D2) then a 760 or a Radeon R9 280 would be my choice for entry level FS performance.

I also have an aging main FS PC with a GTX285. What do people think about the Geforce 750 for use on slave machines in a networked FS setup - adequate? My issue is that I'd prefer to avoid having to buy new PSUs; for most of my slave machines have 300W PSUs.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

I have a GTX 750ti. It's pretty darn good for the price. I have an i5 3330 @ 3.2 GHz and 6Gb of RAM, and I get a minimum of 20fps at JFK (default scenery for now) with about 70% default traffic in the NGX VC (just moved to FSX... that's why I don't have many addons). Most sliders are to the right except for water and I use DX10. 20fps is VERY playable for a flight simulator. I assume that because you have a substantially better CPU you'll get even better framerate  :P

It's also great for other games. I get about 60-80 fps in BF4 on medium settings with 2x MSAA in 1080p.  I love this thing!  :BigGrin:

Hope this helps!

-Phil

By the way, what graphics card would be equivalent to a GTX285 out of the Nvidia 7## (or 6##) series cards?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Thanks Guys,

I have finally settled for a GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX660 O/C 3GB(needs a 500psu) and it is working like a dream on my set up. Have even been able to bring the I5 2500k back to its original 3.3 from the 4.3 I had it clocked to.

Mike