Sign in to follow this  
Luftwulf

Failed To Read From File

I started receiving this pop-up box from FSX that states "Failed to read from file".  This came at the end of 2 flights and I was able to ignore the box and then taxi and park, once I clicked Ok on the box, FSX crashed.

Something else I noticed at the time was the beeping sound that I believe is the FSUIPC warning for a possible impending OOM crash, however I never got an OOM crash.

I recently installed Orbx Vector and Orbx OpenLC EU software and however have been running FTX Global since release.  I researched this error and there are a couple of conflicting recommendations however one I noticed was the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1 tweak could be the possible issue, however I have been running this tweak (probably not needed) in my cfg file for a long time without issue.  Before I start tearing my install apart I was wondering if anyone has had this issue?  I feel lucky as I have not had any issues in the past and I wonder if the Orbx install is taking more of my FPS and power to render.

I checked the SceneryConfigEditor for errors but will double check to make sure I did not miss anything.....  I did remove some scenery to help FPS and had to replace the detail1.bmp file back into the Scenery folder as it somehow got deleted, so maybe it is trying to reference a file that is no longer there?  Could be a scenery Airport file because if I remember correctly, the error happened either near, on final, or after landing at the destination airport.

Thanks for your assistance.

Just read through the Crash to Desktop Guide which is an excellent write and much appreciated.

I am going to follow this advice to help me pinpoint the exact offending texture that maybe missing.

Missing Textures/Objects – After a CTD, you can install the following lines into the 
[scenery] section of your FSX.cfg (thanks to FS Developer.com): 
[sCENERY] 
// To show alerts or areas, set to = 1 
// To hide alerts or areas, set to = 0 

// Alert for missing textures 
ShowMissingTextureAlert=1 

// Alert for missing objects 
MissingLibraryAlert=1 

// Render Trigger areas as visible boxes 
ShowTriggers=1 
Once the lines are added, run FSX and the same situation that caused your CTD. During 
the flight plan if an object or texture is missing, FSX will stop and give you information 
about the missing texture/objects. Click okay and the flight will continue. If the flight 
finishes without a crash, the cause is most likely one of those missing objects/textures. If 
you are flying over a Orbx/FTX, Aerosoft, FSDT, Blue Print, MegaScenery, etc., scenery, it 
might be one of these programs that is causing the CTD. You can try disabling or 
reinstalling the program to see if this fixes the problem

I checked the SceneryConfigEditor for errors but will double check to make sure I did not miss anything..... I did remove some scenery to help FPS and had to replace the detail1.bmp file back into the Scenery folder as it somehow got deleted, so maybe it is trying to reference a file that is no longer there?

Thanks for your kind comments regarding our AVSIM CTD Guide.  We hope it helps you and others solve their problems.  In regards to your comments above,  make sure you are using the FTX Central app to turn on FTX/Orbx scenery and you must never disable FTX scenery through the SceneryConfigEditor utility.  I can guarantee you that you will have problems as this happened to me.  It might work a couple of times, but eventually the scenery library and FTX Central gets confused.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It did help as I followed the guide above and was able to resolve my issue.  Thanks for your help on the forums as it saves the rest of us a lot of time.

By adding the lines to my cfg I was able to determine that some of my FSX core files had become corrupted or was missing so I was able to replace them from a clean install backup.  I also reinstalled all of my Orbx products, most recent library and deleted and rebuilt my Facilities/Scenery Indexes and Shader Folders for good measure.

I also removed the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION line from my cfg file as from an earlier posts it appears to be not needed.  So far I have not had anymore issues and will do some more testing, however loading different areas resulted in no errors.  Thanks again for the guide and help.

On a separate note, I did notice when loading different a/c that some of them had load errors on certain textures which I thought was odd, but they worked regardless.

LW