Sign in to follow this  
hillsboy

Germany

I would like to fly Germany but not sure what scenery to purchase.  I currently enjoy Megascenery Earth 2.0 but that's not available for Germany or France for that matter. Can anyone shed light on VFR Germany for me:  realism, quality, does it incorporate photo real scenery, etc.?  I'd like to know before putting down that much $$ for all four areas!

JOHN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have VFR Germany ( It´s incredible ), and France VFR ( almost all of them ) - It´s the best you can get. But, use some MESH scenery ( may be FSgenesis also )

http://www.francevfr.com/gamme_vfr.htm

VFRALSX2_62.jpg

PHOTORA1_45.jpg

PHOTORA1_44.jpg

It´s photoreal, but every building is 3D ( Amazing ! )

Huh? VFR Germany has horrible colors in my opinion. But it's the only option there is, for fotoreal, that is true...

Huh? VFR Germany has horrible colors in my opinion. But it's the only option there is, for fotoreal, that is true...

What you find about France VFR that I posted pictures above ? Does it have bad colors also ?

Images of VFR Germany:

vfrgermany4_11.jpg

PreviewVFRG4_05.jpg

VFRG4_FinaleBeta_Leipzig.jpg

France looks a lot better - but the German textures have that washed out greenish-blueish hue that makes them look like a magazine that was inadvertently put through a washing machine, which does not do Germany justice. Also I find the texture resolution wanting by today's standards, at least when you're down low. 

But hey, just my opinion ;) I'm on ORBX openLC Europe now, and while the overall feel and things like the coloration are pretty much spot on, with that one I get picky about certain parts of villages missing or too many trees on the east Frisian islands... ;-) There's no silver bullet.

France looks a lot better - but the German textures have that washed out greenish-blueish hue that makes them look like a magazine that was inadvertently put through a washing machine, which does not do Germany justice. Also I find the texture resolution wanting by today's standards, at least when you're down low. 

But hey, just my opinion ;) I'm on ORBX openLC Europe now, and while the overall feel and things like the coloration are pretty much spot on, with that one I get picky about certain parts of villages missing or too many trees on the east Frisian islands... ;-) There's no silver bullet.

Well, if you use FTX whatever, you´re not looking at a real thing. Just make a comparison, fly from the same point, and take 2 snapshots, one with VFR Germany and the other with OrbX OpenLC Europe. 

BTW - I almost drop dead when I saw my country, Brazil through FTX Global. My city on the scenery has huge skyscrapers and long streets which doesn´t even exist on the real world. It´s a complete fiction city. Even the roads are wrong. I couldn´t even recognize cities around. I simply deactivated FTX Global, it´s a lie !

I know what the layer-style products do, they don't claim to be photo real. And FTX global is not adding anything to the content that's shown by default, it just makes it look better (only generic textures). If you want to get closer to reality content wise, you need vector products (roads, water bodies) and landclass addons (what's supposed to be where, as in cities, forests, etc) - and the fidelity of this is limited by the FSX engine.

Both kinds of products have pros and cons, I'm sure you are aware of them. But in the case of VFR Germany - what good is that level of content reality if the overall looks are simply wrong/bad? Not even talking about seasons or night flying...

But as I said above: everyone as he pleases, there is no silver bullet.

I know what the layer-style products do, they don't claim to be photo real. And FTX global is not adding anything to the content that's shown by default, it just makes it look better (only generic textures). If you want to get closer to reality content wise, you need vector products (roads, water bodies) and landclass addons (what's supposed to be where, as in cities, forests, etc) - and the fidelity of this is limited by the FSX engine.

Both kinds of products have pros and cons, I'm sure you are aware of them. But in the case of VFR Germany - what good is that level of content reality if the overall looks are simply wrong/bad? Not even talking about seasons or night flying...

But as I said above: everyone as he pleases, there is no silver bullet.

Perhaps one day, in the future, we will fly all over the world with photoreal scenery and 3D exactly as the real world is. Then, it will be a huge experience, to explore the world from our chairs and discover places we never imagined.