Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

$1300 4790K Build...need Help With Some Parts Before Sale Ends Today

Thanks for the heads up guys on the cooler. I will look into getting one ASAP even without overclocking. Thanks to those who recently built too for sharing and let me know how it's performing. It will be a couple weeks before I am up and running.

I purchased my Rosewill Blackhawk case, 750w 80+ gold power supply, and ASUS DVD drive so far. Just looking for deals on the rest and debating changing my motherboard out for something else.

I'm late to the thread, but I got the Rosewill Challenger $49.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

And ASrock Z97 Extreme4.  I had some wicked toughness getting the mobo to boot the first time.  I was trying to use a USB wireless keyboard and my monitor was set for HDMI, when I was connected to the VGA port.  It's been a while since I had to build a computer.  I thought I fried something, even though I was using a static strap and rubber matt...

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Hey, I just built a new system 2 weeks ago with the I7 4790k... the performance coming from amd is out of this world. I built mine minus the graphics card for a little under a $1000.00 from newegg. I have overclocked mine to 4.7 and the temps are great.

Here are the specs that i got as a FYI.

Corsair 500r case (white) $119.99

Corsair H100I - $99.00

MSI Gaming 7 Z97 LGA1150 $174.99

I7 4790k 4.4 $339.00 got as a bundle and saved 40.00

Cosair HX750W power supply $129.00

Kingston Hyper X 3 250gs ssd $149.00

With all the rebates I saved about $130.00 so it helped alot.

I did reuse the Graphics card and some other parts.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Just finished my build. With the components I posted on page 1 I am very pleased with the results,. Just took off rwy 22 with dream team JFK, Activesky next with a bit of crummy weather, REX textures, and with majestic q400 the fps was 48 and very smooth. With PMDG 777 it was 35 and smooth.

I just the asus ai suite 3 (seemed pretty slick) to overclocking. It made it up to 5 ghz then blue screened. It then automatically set 4.8 ghz.

I am looking forward to installing p3d on my other SSD

Yea that is what i am trying to figure out with the msi overclocking software.. It did a small overclock to 4.4, but that is the turbo speed. All i did was set the multiplier to 46 then 47 and left it and ran intel burn and prime and all seems good. I have not messed with any voltages seeing i am new to overclocking. I have been doing some live streaming and i noticed that there is no frame rate hit with obs. (great news) ;-)

I am glad to hear your success with the 4790k, I am seeing about the same results as you. I think the only thing that is holding me back is the graphics card at this point, I am only running a msi gtx 660ti overclocked. As soon as i can convince the wife for the gtx 780 i will be done for now :ph34r: . That's is going to take a little while to do.

By the way what affinity mask are you using if you don't mind me asking.

I dont know it you turned Hyper threading off, but i just changed mine to 84 and it made a huge difference. I do have hyperthreading enabled (video encoding). Just a FYI

Will try a comparison. I just thought fsx doesn't like hyperthreading so I turned it off

If you have HT enabled on an i7, then indeed, 84 is a lot better than 14 ^_^

84=01 01 01 00

14=00 00 11 10

It should be exactly equivalent to HT off and AM=14, though..

14=1 1 1 0

Bert

Hey, I just built a new system 2 weeks ago with the I7 4790k... the performance coming from amd is out of this world. I built mine minus the graphics card for a little under a $1000.00 from newegg. I have overclocked mine to 4.7 and the temps are great.

Here are the specs that i got as a FYI.

Corsair 500r case (white) $119.99

Corsair H100I - $99.00

MSI Gaming 7 Z97 LGA1150 $174.99

I7 4790k 4.4 $339.00 got as a bundle and saved 40.00

Cosair HX750W power supply $129.00

Kingston Hyper X 3 250gs ssd $149.00

With all the rebates I saved about $130.00 so it helped alot.

I did reuse the Graphics card and some other parts.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

How do you like the MSI gaming board. Where did you get this combo I may switch to that.....

The only place I'm still kind of indecisive other than that is RAM. any suggestions on that, does it depend on what board I choose?

How do you like the MSI gaming board. Where did you get this combo I may switch to that.....

The only place I'm still kind of indecisive other than that is RAM. any suggestions on that, does it depend on what board I choose?

I am really loving the motherboard it has some great options. I bought everything from newegg. Ram really doesnt matter that much in fsx, I bought the ram that is in my post and i will leave you a link for, But it played great with everything. I tried to get some thing that i could expand later and had a good cl rating. (the lower the better)

(EDIT) I see that i didnt list it... Sorry  :huh:

Link to ram 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231689

Any other question i will be more then glad to help.

Turned on HT and changed affinity mask to 84. FIrst thing I noticed was it took forever for fsx to load. You know when it has that progress bar saying loading scenery, etc but seems like my frames went up in fsx. will have to test it a bit more.

Hmmm thats sounds not right. I havent tried it both ways, but i have the ivao mtl loader in and mine loads in about 10 seconds.

I need to read up on what you guys are even talking about... Can someone point me in the right direction to the basics of installing FSX and the OS  correctly (will have one SSD and one HDD) as far as what drives etc. I have read through Nick's guide but it is VERY overwhelming on top of trying to build this computer..

Also, any thoughts on this motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

And this hard drive as my 2nd hard drive? My main will be a 250gb SSD

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

I need to read up on what you guys are even talking about... Can someone point me in the right direction to the basics of installing FSX and the OS  correctly (will have one SSD and one HDD) as far as what drives etc. I have read through Nick's guide but it is VERY overwhelming on top of trying to build this computer..

There is no "correctly"... ^_^

Just personal preference.

I have the OS on one SSD and FSX on another SSD..

If your SSD is big enough,  I would suggest starting with the OS and FSX on the same SSD.

The only advice, is to install FSX in a simple folder like C:\FSX and not into it's default location in the "Program Files" structure.

This is not a performance issue but rather a way around the restrictive Win7 User Account Controls..

Bert