Sign in to follow this  
jimh

Partial Upgrade?

Hi,

I'd appreciate an opinion on how sensible my upgrade thoughts are.  I'm using P3Dv2.2 currently.

At present, in a very old unsatisfactory case, I have a Corsair 750w PSU, i7 2600K o'cd to 4.8 with H80 cooler, on an ASUS P8-68V Pro, 8GB G-skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX680 Signature 4GB.

I've bought a Coolermaster HAF X case to move all the above stuff into, but had a last minute thought.

Since I'll be re-assembling everything in this new case, should I take the opportunity to install a new motherboard (and associated CPU) when I'm at it?

I could manage to fund an i7 4820K on something like an ASUS X79 Sabertooth.  I could, if it's necessary add an H100i cooler, but all my other components would have to join the new CPU and Mobo for now.  Hopefully, individual items would be upgraded in the future.

The question, really, is whether to simply migrate to the new case and save up for a complete new system in the future, or do the above if the old and new would work well together?

Thanks in advance, Jim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Meh you've got a well balanced system as it is... x79 is already old and that CPU won't be much better than what you have.

Were in the same boat - I've got similar hardware but a bit less powerful. I'm waiting on DDR4 Z99 boards.

Thanks, Ryan.

I haven't done any real research. Since, for now, the only advantage performance wise, is the difference between the two CPUs, if they are close it's probably best to keep my cash for now.

The temptation was to avoid pulling the Z68 mobo out again, maybe next year.

Jim