Sign in to follow this  
Lincolnshire Poacher

Coming back to flightsim FSX or Prepar3d ?

I'm about to make a comeback to flying simulation, I've previously flown with FSX, REX and GEX.

I just have a few questions and would appreciate any adivce.

1 since Microsft no longer do FSX, what if any issues will I have with a fresh install on a new computer/ will it activate.

2 Is Prepar3D any better then FSX?

3 If Prepar3d is the way to go do I get the Academic or the Proffesional version?

Any help appreciated.

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

1. So far as I know yes. And if it does not and I paid for the the legally obtained version of FSX I would not hesitate to go for the easy solution from the darks side of the internet.

2. IMHO yes.

3. Go for the Academic version. The only disadvantage is the word Academic faintly displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.

Jürgen

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

1. Yes, it will activate. But don't bother with it...

2. ...because P3D is better and has a future.

3. You have to buy the license you qualify for: simple as that. Look at the various options and decide for yourself. Discussion about this is prohibited on this forum.

I would advise anyone with this simple rule:

If you have NO PMDG products, go directly to P3D.I honestly believe that PMDG is the only reason that FSX is till around (aside from, understandably, other diehards whose addons do not work in P3D).

Mario Di Lauro

PMDG meh, there's so many other superb products that won't work in p3d, UTX USA, flight1 king air, RXP (at least there's an alternative now), GEX etc

Plus there's still teething issues like stutters galore low fps in clouds (was ok in 2.2)

Seriously use all the sims - that's what I do - you can enjoy all your old addons in FSX, see old addons in new platform, and learn about new ones and a different way to sim with XP10.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 since Microsft no longer do FSX, what if any issues will I have with a fresh install on a new computer/ will it activate.

Shouldn't be any issues reinstalling and reactivating it, but I haven't been paying attention...  I'll never reinstall it.

2 Is Prepar3D any better then FSX?

In many many many ways.

However, depending on your computer hardware and need for certain specific add-ons that may not (yet) be supported in P3D, FSX still has a niche to occupy and likely will for some time to come.

3 If Prepar3d is the way to go do I get the Academic or the Proffesional version?

If you read the licensing terms at LM's website, you will most likely see that only one of them applies to you.  The terms are pretty clear.