Sign in to follow this  
xender

Help reading a VOR Approach chart

Hi guys!

I need help reading a chart for a VOR approach. Please see the chart to get the idea:

30j396t.png

The red line is the path i'm coming from (im using VOR to VOR navigation). The VOR station at KMCO is off the field, so that makes it a bit more difficult to me. How can i execute that approach? can someone translate it to me in plain english?

thanks

Juan Ramos

your initial approach fix is disny. you have to fly to mile 12 from ord to start your approach...;)

DISNY is your Initial & FInal app fix.

You hit the VOR then go outbound on the 177 Radial and descend to 1800' until passing the 12DME fix then turn right to 222 Hdg and fly for about 45 seconds then turn left to hdg 042 and intercept the 357 (177 radial) back inbound.  When established on the 357 descend to 1500'.  After passing DISNY inbound descend to 600'.

If you really want to do this as a complete non-radar approach, the simplest way is to fly to the VOR and do a right teardrop turn in the holding pattern airspace to reverse course, then fly outbound on the 177R past DISNY and do the procedure turn.  And keep saying to yourself, "Turn, time, twist...."

I need to hit the vor first and then go outbound. That makes a lot more sense to me now. Thanks a lot. That solves it.

Its safe to say that on every vor approach i need to hit the vor first?

Juan Ramos

Its safe to say that on every vor approach i need to hit the vor first?

Hi Juan,

No. 

You'll find quite a bit of variety in terms of how most approach procedures are laid out.  Take a look at the KGXY VOR-A approach, for example, and you'll see that if you're coming from the south you'd fly to the VOR (GLL) as your IAF then outbound on a radial with a procedure turn for course reversal, but if approaching from the north, the IAF is defined by a radial and DME distance from the VOR, and you don't actually cross the VOR until late in the approach.

Now take a look at the KBZN VOR/DME 12 approach.  Note the only time you'd actually cross the VOR at all (which sits next to the runway on-field) is if you were flying the missed approach.

Hope that helps,

Scott