Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

KDFW OR KORD Realistic AFCADS

Guest jwhak1

Hello, Fellow pilots.. Anyone know where I can find some real or close to real AFCADS for Dallas Intl. Or Chicago O Hare.I am using Ultimate Traffic 2004.P.S. I have a good Idea where to get them but any suggestions Thanks. Josh

Not sure what you mean by "real". You can get some very good AFCAD's from Project AI. They are "real" in the sense that gate assignments are properly laid out. You mention using UT; I do also. The other option for some AFCADs at Project AI are those that incorporate the crossing runways trick; both are available for DFW and ORD. While this workaround to FS's very poor way of spawning AI flights will help with traffic flow at the large airports, it is not in any sense realistic. I've been using such AFACDs for about 3 months now for DFW, ORD, DEN and I think I'm about to switch back to regular AFCADs. While I am able to takeoff with a reasonable wait, I could do the same by scaling back the traffic level to about 80% and have the traffic use the appropriate runways for the wind direction. When the wind is 340@12 and the traffic is landing every which way it takes away from any sense of realism. Hopefully either the new version of Radar Contact will help, or just wait for MS to fix it in the next release. Mike

Living near KDFW - I'd like to see "realistic" operation of the airport - but I am not willing to put up with the FS2004 quirks for crossing runways.I have my KDFW - which a slightly customized version of the PAI Official AFCAD by Tony_P set with both 13/31 runways closed for both takeoffs and landings. I also still have Delta flying there (and traffic files for Braniff, Texas International, TWA and PanAm - which I use sometimes).I get plenty of traffic landing on the outside runways, taking off on the inside runways and occasional landing traffic on 17C/35C.The biggest thing about FS which I dislike is the way it handles the area. In the real world there are seven towered airports KDFW, KADS, KDAL, KGPM, KFTW, KAFW, KNFW which all work together in the airspace. They all land and takeoff in the same direction. Yet FS will have aircraft landing from the south at KDFW, from the north at KDAL, etc....KORD is a complete mess for FS and I doubt FS will ever be able to handle it realistically until the conversion/rebuild is complete and there are just the six east/west runways.Perhaps my biggest wish for FS10 is load balancing for landing runways. If 17L/35R has six aircraft arriving and 17C/35C has one - assign the next arriving aircraft to 17C/35C...

Guest jwhak1

Thanks, Appreciate the knowledge... Guess I will check out that Radar Contact.. See what it is all about.Thanks Again

Went home last night and got rid of my crossing runways AFCADs and installed more standard types from Project AI. I then edited all of them using Reggie's idea of closing all the inner runways to landings, and closing the outer to takeoffs. I had done this to KEWR, but for some reason never extended it to other large airports with parallel runways. Works like a charm! Did a quick flight out of KDFW and did a takeoff as a plane was landing on the runway next to me. Traffic flow was much improved. Minimal conga lines even at 100% UT setting. Now what to do about DEN and ORD? Neither really lends itself to the above solution, so I guess I will keep the crossing runways AFCAD for those two unless someone can suggest a runway scheme that would work. Mike

Have you tried Jim Vile's Active ILS for KDEN?It's not just the AFCAD, but the approach files which are necessary to make KDEN work better.Search here on AVSIM for his name as author.

No, I haven't, but am no going to! :-) Thanks for the suggestion. Does he have one for ORD? Mike

FYI UT AFCADS do not include airline parking assignments. I do not know if FS9 for parallel runways in choosing a landing one pays any attention to the runway closest to the assigned airline gates.If you are using UT I'd for the major airports move out the UT_ or FL_ afcad bgl files substituting ones with parking codes. These are available from PAI and other sources.