Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

P3D V2 Newbie question - FSX scenery

Hi,

I decided to give up FSX (and in due time FS9) and migrate to P3D V2.4 when it has been released.

Since I never used P3D I have a question about FSX sceneries.

I have read somewhere on the P3D web site that it is compatible with FSX SP2 scenery, is this still true?

About installing FSX sceneries in P3D V2.

I know I have to mimic FSX by creating a virtual/symbloc link to P3D installation and then can use the FSX installers.

Is that all? Do all FSX sceneries function in P3D or is it a trail-and-error process?

Thanks for your advice,

Egbert

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

"Mimicking" or "symbolic links" are a good recipe for nightmare IMO. The general rule is to install what was designed for P3D or has a special installer. For the OrbX sceneries that I fly, some have been already converted (most of the regions and a good quantity of airports) ) and have a special installer. Some are in the process of being converted.

Now this is not entirely true. All rules have exceptions. After checking with several  users, I've transfered my whole OzX aiport sceneries (freeware), just putting a fsx.exe in the P3D root. Seems OK at that stage but I cannot check them all as they are scores of airoprts and strips in OzX packages.

For my other sceneries (Pacsim for instance), I lean on the cautious side. Wait and see :) ! Check with developpers and users, scenery per scenery.

I have installed both the "UK2000" airports, & the "VFR GenX" photo scenery for the UK into P3D V2, using the Estonian Migration Tool.

No apparent issues, either with installation, or subsequent running.

Hope that this helps!!