Sign in to follow this  
Guest Azone

Samsung data migration tool.

Guest Azone

I purchased a Samsung Evo 840 ssd a while back but have yet to move fsx from my my mechanical drive to the SSD. Is this a safe way to move fsx? Seems to be the easiest.

FSx currently occupies 55gb of it's own designated hd. The migration software comes with the ssd.

Guest Azone

Great......bought this thing a year ago for P3DV2.0 which turned out to be a waste of time so I figured I would use it for my smooth as butter fsx. Wasted 250 bucks that day on an ssd and P3DV2.0.

Is this a safe way to move

Yes.  I used the tool myself several weeks ago.

Guest Azone

Yes.  I used the tool myself several weeks ago.

Well, your SSD unit maybe is not affected, but I would wait for new firmware Samsung announced.

Thanks for the info, Samsung will release a firmware update on Oct 15th, I can wait till then.

Many TLC ssd's suffer from this though

Are they saying it's a specific samsung firmware issue?

Oh nm, this seems more serious... I have this drive oh noes!!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

According to Anandtech an update should come out middle of this month.... cool.

I did some simple tests transferring "old" files from one portion of the drive to another and it was bbbaaaad.  No wonder FSX has been so slow to startup sheesh.  1GB file transfer old speeds weren't better than 30 mb/sec.  Newely written files were at the usual 480 mb/sec.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Does this only effect the 840 Evo? I just bought an 840 Pro last night as the current 840 Pro I've had for over a year just started having problems being written to.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Guest Azone

Does this only effect the 840 Evo? I just bought an 840 Pro last night as the current 840 Pro I've had for over a year just started having problems being written to.

I don't think the Pro was included , only the Evo was mentioned on the links I read.

Will we have to format the drive to install new firmware? I'd imagine so... Which sucks because my entire FSX, XP10, and BF4 installs are on it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Will we have to format the drive to install new firmware? I'd imagine so... Which sucks because my entire FSX, XP10, and BF4 installs are on it

I do not think so. It can upgrade firmaware without formating a drive. However, it's highly recommended to do a format.

On a random semi related note - if you use HD Tune to check your drive like I did, and you end up with your monitor turning off after 20 min, disable the setting "Allow change of power settings during tests" - my LCD was turning off every 20 min because I ran that program to check for SSD issues (which I confirmed) but for some reason this HDD program kept changing my power options to "Turn off display" from NEVER to 20 min.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |