Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Ghost wingtip strobes - can't find them in aircraft.cfg

Hello all.I just got myself the nice freeware Kittyhawk 737-800. The one tiny thing I want to adjust are the wingtip strobe lights. I want to make them flash *rapidly* (currently they kinda wheeze on and off with a 5-second gap)So I thought I'd root out the strobe fx file and see if I could fiddle with it to make the strobes flash agressively & rapidly.Problem: I find no entry for wingtip strobes in the aircraft.cfg! Yet the plane has them...I cant find a line in the .cfg thats pointing to any wingtip strobe effect - except the aft strobe.From the aircraft.cfg:---------------------------------------------------------------------(LIGHTS)//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing light.0 =1, 8.20, 0.00, 10.30, B738_BCNU , light.1 =1, 4.50, 0.00, -4.60, B738_BCNL , light.2 =3, -64.00, 0.00, 7.60, fx_navwhi , light.3 =2, -64.00, 0.00, 7.60, B738_STROBE :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sounds like they are hard coded into the model. if so, you will have to live with them.....Brian

...and they're hardcoded into the model because fs effects cannot 'follow' a dynamic moving part like a flexing wing.Here's hoping gmax strobes improve.regards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Awaaaa awaaaaaa waaaa :(I had a feeling it would be buried somewhere inaccessible!Thank you both for replying :)I think the only solution is to point another planes strobe effects at this particular plane...overriding the present one. Although without purpose-designed software its gonna take a lot of number-juggling to place them at the right spot on the wing!

Hi Nevin,I don't know if this is going to help you directly.. but might give you a new direction to look for(?).Have you tried Scott Gridley's asynchronous strobes effects? First of all, it gives you a far more realistic asynchronous strobes effect for all planes (incl. AI).Second, if you don't want to install this, you still might(!) get on the right track seeking for a solution, by looking at the included fx_strobe.fx files (like emitter rate, delay etc..)... and maybe find, by interpreting this data, if the Kittyhawk refers to it's own strobe.fx file and settings(??).asynchronous_strobes_effects.zip (4kb) is available here for download at avsim.Good luck!Gert

FYI, I was intrigued trying this out myself too, and downloaded the Kittyhawk. The wing-lights are indeed very slow, for a for the rest very nice freeware plane! The easiest way, I thought, to see if there's any difference possible to be made, would be by copying the total settings of other strobe fx files (if there's a difference in the settings of course)... no matter what effect it would give. I tried totally both BC738_wing.fx and B738_Strobe.fx.Alas, no change in rate of strobe could be accomplished... so the earlier gentlemen were right in saying they are hardcoded.Not that I doubted that btw.. ;)Cheers!Gert

StormChaser-Thank you for that! I shall def download those strobe effects you mentioned! Anything to make things a little more reaslistic. Thanks for posting the filename too BTW :)Yea its a great plane...only wish the strobes would flash madly! Incidentally the best strobe effect I have seen on an FS9 airliner are the wingtip strobes on the HNAC A300s...they have got that rapid Airus-style double-flash down perfectly! WAP-WAP WAP-WAP WAP-WAP!