Sign in to follow this  
Tony C

E195 Start Problems

I have had a consistent problem with the E195 that I didn't find with the E190.

Whether I use the starter rotation knob or Ctrl E to start the engines they will usually fail first time with a "REV FAIL" amber notice on the screen.

Usually if I then try Ctrl E again during this happening the start up will eventually happen. Very strange and really don't know why.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi, Tony. The REV FAIL would mean that your reversers are not available but can you try starting the engines following the checklist (avoiding the Ctrl E command) and check if any mixture axis on your setup is set to zero?

Or just press Ctrl F4 before any start attempts to see if this mixture axis is the cause of a failed first start attempt. You might not see anything moving in the cockpit when commanding "full rich" but it could be important as a background setting.

Thanks my friend I tried that and it seems to work just fine.

I am a little confused because I thought "mixture" only applied to piston engines but maybe this refers to air/fuel mixture?

Anyway I am very grateful to you for your time and help!

Tony

Tony, you are absolutely correct on your thinking about the mixture setting. While the jet engine model in the sim may not care much for any literal mixture having been set up, the zero setting arising from e.g. a hardware axis being set to "close" does in fact not add any fuel for the engine to work. That's where the trouble starts.

And it's that non zero setting which we achieve by commanding "full rich". Sim quirks, really.

Glad you are up and running. :smile:

Edited. I forgot to add that one should press Ctrl F4 and Ctrl Shift F4. One is full rpm (not too important in our case) and the other one is mixture full rich (which is important). I always mix them up, so apologies. :blush:

Sign in to follow this