Sign in to follow this  
787WannabePilot

Auto Step Climb, if you use it, how do you configure it?

I did a few searches for the past few days on others who haven't gotten the auto step climb to work... and haven't been able to have any luck myself.

First, the option is 'ON' in the FMC settings.

The altitude setting on the MCP is either at or higher than the step required.

I have just let the plane fly, expecting to 'step up' at the FMC targeted step climb, with no luck.

I have added the 'S' at the end of an altitude setting in the 'leg's option in FMC, with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :happy:

The altitude setting on the MCP is either at or higher than the step required.

You do not need to set the altitude any higher than the initial cruise. When a step climb starts the plane automatically increases the altitude.

Step climbs only occur every three to for hours. Maybe you are not giving it enough time to do an auto step climb. A 777F near MTOW on a EDDF-KIAH will only climb two or three times.

Also make certain that the PERF INIT page has RVSM enter as STEP SIZE.

Also the step climb point will be indicated on the ND if within range, or you can look for it using PLAN view. The PROG page and VNAV CLB pages will indicate distance to step climb. I assume all this is checking out okay for you?

Make sure the setting in PMDG Options is sticking. Once set, it should not change. If it is resetting then maybe you are not assigning admin rights to FSX and PMDG installers.

The auto step climb and FLxxxS features have always worked for me.

Dan Downs KCRP

You do not need to set the altitude any higher than the initial cruise. When a step climb starts the plane automatically increases the altitude.

Step climbs only occur every three to for hours. Maybe you are not giving it enough time to do an auto step climb. A 777F near MTOW on a EDDF-KIAH will only climb two or three times.

Also make certain that the PERF INIT page has RVSM enter as STEP SIZE.

I only set it higher to demonstrate that the FMC isn't telling me that I have set it too low.

I did a flight from Moscow to Toyko (more than 3 hours), and the FMC stated that it was going to 'step climb', but it never did. I had to manually do it by pressing the knob / button underneath the altitude number on the MCP.

I have ensured the RVSM is entered as the step size. I have also tested putting the number '2000' in as well, but that didn't work either. (Found the suggestion in another thread)

Also the step climb point will be indicated on the ND if within range, or you can look for it using PLAN view. The PROG page and VNAV CLB pages will indicate distance to step climb. I assume all this is checking out okay for you?

Make sure the setting in PMDG Options is sticking. Once set, it should not change. If it is resetting then maybe you are not assigning admin rights to FSX and PMDG installers.

The auto step climb and FLxxxS features have always worked for me.

It does say the distance, but never does the actual step. It will continue to say "STEP : NOW" until I manually increase my altitude.  I double checked that the setting is sticking, unless it isn't active (even though it says it is), I am not sure what else to do about that.

Just don't use this feature when flying online!

Don't fly online. :)

Thanks guys.

I only set it higher to demonstrate that the FMC isn't telling me that I have set it too low.

You can get your initial cruise altitude from VNAV, page 2 of 3, ACT ECON CRZ. Right now I am doing a EDDF-KIAH 777F and the ACT ECON CRZ page shows OPT as FL317, MAX as FL341, RECMD as FL320. I indicates I will step to FL340 in 1027 miles in another two hours exactly. I have been in the air for an hour and 31 minutes. The pane will step to FL360 several hundred miles north of Green Bay WS. 2 step climbs on an eleven hour flight.

I did a flight from Moscow to Toyko (more than 3 hours), and the FMC stated that it was going to 'step climb', but it never did. I had to manually do it by pressing the knob / button underneath the altitude number on the MCP.

How much more than three hours which is not a long enough flight. Do you enter wind forecasts into the FMC. I imagine if you enter no wind. the FMC will assume 0 head/tail wind. It might initially calculate a step climb but if the plane is operating in a strong tailwind the FMC is going to eventually decide no step is possible because the flight is not long enough and the plane weighs too much.

Did you see 'step climb' until T/D or did it disappear say 3/4 of the way through the flight.

If you can give me the following information on your Moscow-Tokyo flight, I will run it thru a planner and see if a step climb is necessary. I need the ICAO code for the airports used, type of plane (77LR or 777F), payload in pounds, CI, Fuel Policy, any extra fuel carried, route, and alternate airport.

You can get your initial cruise altitude from VNAV, page 2 of 3, ACT ECON CRZ. Right now I am doing a EDDF-KIAH 777F and the ACT ECON CRZ page shows OPT as FL317, MAX as FL341, RECMD as FL320. I indicates I will step to FL340 in 1027 miles in another two hours exactly. I have been in the air for an hour and 31 minutes. The pane will step to FL360 several hundred miles north of Green Bay WS. 2 step climbs on an eleven hour flight.

How much more than three hours which is not a long enough flight. Do you enter wind forecasts into the FMC. I imagine if you enter no wind. the FMC will assume 0 head/tail wind. It might initially calculate a step climb but if the plane is operating in a strong tailwind the FMC is going to eventually decide no step is possible because the flight is not long enough and the plane weighs too much.

Did you see 'step climb' until T/D or did it disappear say 3/4 of the way through the flight.

If you can give me the following information on your Moscow-Tokyo flight, I will run it thru a planner and see if a step climb is necessary. I need the ICAO code for the airports used, type of plane (77LR or 777F), payload in pounds, CI, Fuel Policy, any extra fuel carried, route, and alternate airport.

I have seen the same thing on that page. :)   That is the same page that says "NOW" when to step climb.

With regards to the winds, I do request / load them in the FMC.

Let me see on your info you requested.....

UUDD to RJTT

777-200 LR

ZFW is 408,000

CI is 100

Not quite sure what you mean by fuel policy. Minimum I guess?

No extra fuel.

First Alt. Airport listed is RJTL.

Thanks.

Robert

I requested the route. If it is not too much work can you provide it?

Thank you.

Robert

I requested the route. If it is not too much work can you provide it?

Thank you.

Sorry.  This is what happens when I try and read at 12ish am. ;)

WT32D NOGTI R487 GAMDI R480 CW G703 RZ R487 ZJ R22 PTG B123 LANAP B108 SONEK A929 GU R211 TORMA A946 IVADA A333 IGROD B451 KADBO R211 GOC V22 STONE DATUM

This is what happens when I try and read at 12ish am.
I know what you mean. I had a hard time with that post #6 last night or early this morning.

Robert

There are definitely step climbs in this flight. The plan shows it as 8 hour 26 min flight. Fuel at release is 130861 which includes taxi fuel of 855 lbs. and reserve fuel of 15583 lbs. Initial altitude is FL350 with steps to FL370, FL390, and FL410. Once you start entering the data into the FMC that initial cruise of FL350 might really be FL370. That aside there are step climbs. BTW the wind was a tailwind of 31 knots.

So it's back to square one.

First question-the step climb needs to be set up in two places in the FMC. PMDG SETUP>OPTIONS>SIMULATION>AUTO STEP CLIMBS needs a YES. This on page 5 of 7. The second place is FS ACTION>AUTO CRUISE>AUTO STEP CLIMBS needs a YES. Look at these two first and make sure they are YES.

I don't have time to conduct a full flight tonight

When you have been cleared to your initial cruise altitude roll your altitude knob so that altitude appears in the altitude window. Don't change it. The plane will change it when it does a step climb. Leave the altitude knob alone until you are ready to descend.

Let's say my cruise altitude is 32000 to start. My altitude know is set there.

I have a step climb to 37000.

You're saying to leave it at 32000, and it'll automatically change to 37000?