Sign in to follow this  

HDR v2.2 vs v2.4 ...

Here are the differences in the HDR.HLSL from v2.2 (left side) to v2.4 (right side).  If you feel adventurous go ahead and edit the file (located in ...\ShadersHLSL\PostProcess) to match v2.2.  WARNING: I have NOT done this, so proceed at YOUR OWN RISK.  I did however get permission to post this.

Be sure to delete your Shaders folder (i.e. C:\Users\[youraccountname]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders) before starting P3D v2.4.

warning large images (2088 x 2069) - you'll need to view images full screen in order to read text.

53275fef84035a80fae291f54068e0f7.jpg

836d14dad33fd905a560c0dad4a4bc53.jpg

I don't want to make this a sticky as it's untested with v2.4 code.  As always, suggest you backup the original HDR.HLSL file first.

Cheers, Rob.

What effects is it supposed to have if I change HDR.HLSL back to v2.2?

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

What effects is it supposed to have if I change HDR.HLSL back to v2.2?

Some people have expressed that they prefer the HDR is v2.2 ... specifically the bloom and major adjustments to levels based on scene "light" content.

The other alternative is if one has the v2.2 HDR.HLSL, you can just copy that into v2.4 and delete the "shaders" (assuming one has a backup of v2.4 HDR.HLSL).

Cheers, Rob.

Ah, thank you, Will try that too.

Cheers,

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Anyone who has tweaked their HDR to "lighten the mood" (ie no more jet black trees or water) able to kindly share their modded HDR file?

Anyone who has tweaked their HDR to "lighten the mood"

Are you using default P3D sky and cloud textures?

Cheers, Rob.

Are you using default P3D sky and cloud textures?

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rob, I am at this stage- I have read about all the alternatives, but am unsure what is the cheapest and best way to suit my needs (and if this does actually make a difference to the ground colour/dullness?)

I would much rather realistic looking clouds and good themes, over real time weather (I fly enough in the RW in real world weather- selecting a scene is much more desirable when I just wanna get airborne in P3D)

Cheers

Cool post Rob - maybe someone can post before and after shots or at least describe those differences as I didn't start using hdr until late 2.3 - thanks to you

Rich Sennett

Hey Rob, I am at this stage- I have read about all the alternatives, but am unsure what is the cheapest and best way to suit my needs

So if I understand you correctly you ARE using default P3D textures (cloud/sky)?  The reason I was asking is that I've used some freeware and 3rd party cloud/sky textures that have excessively darkened the scene.  I've had NO color or darkness issues with default P3D sky/cloud textures ... but it sounds like you are?

I think perhaps the best thing for me to do is ask you what you think of the colors and dark/lights in these screen shots (be honest with your responses, I'm not the type that gets offended):

DUSK (orbx lights on): P3D weather theme and clouds, REX 4 sky

a91cfdde9c720054e8884ee9f57bdcf1.jpg

DUSK: ASN weather, P3D default sky/clouds

1d6244e1db2013b08017f43d094fac02.jpg

DAY: Mid Morning, ASN weather, REX 4 sky and clouds

c73ec25d1ce9a8147647416df210a478.jpg

DAY (early afternoon): ASN weather but minimal clouds, REX 4 sky/cloud textures

dc7137bc1dfa68b521510d34eb9fe88a.jpg

NIGHT: ASN Weather - REX 4 cloud/sky texture

1ce0c0c403e0aa72f3fc49d39dc67e52.jpg

DAY: Noon-1pm, ASN Weather, P3D default clouds/sky ... above cloud layer

37830e4bbb45b179ecca6d324211c19b.jpg

DAY (Noon-1pm): ASN Weather (same location as pic above), P3D default clouds/sky -- below the cloud layer

bc9700a08621f15677249fe8ac1bd4e3.jpg

These are all using v2.4 with the following adjustments to:

...\ShadersHLSL\GPUTerrain.fx

Line 881: BaseColor *= lerp( .34f, 1.0f, fAlpha );

...\ShadersHLSL\PostProcess\HDR.HLSL

Line 10: static const float BloomThreshold = 03.25f;

Line 11: static const float BloomMagnitude = 03.75f;
Line 12: static const float BloomBlurSigma = 1.3;
Line 13: static const float TimeDelta = 4.0f;

for rain you can make these adjustments here:

...\ShadersHLSL\Rain.fx

Line 65: float4 cColor = float4(0.2,0.2,0.2,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

Be sure to delete your shaders folder before starting P3D here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Cheers, Rob.

"...\ShadersHLSL\GPUTerrain.fx

Line 881: BaseColor *= lerp( .34f, 1.0f, fAlpha );"

What does this do Rob - darkness on my side is due to shade not vanilla P3D -  which I understand and dont have a problem with it  - also I have many themes to pick from which would lighten things up just haven't tried them yet 

Rich Sennett

So if I understand you correctly you ARE using default P3D textures (cloud/sky)? The reason I was asking is that I've used some freeware and 3rd party cloud/sky textures that have excessively darkened the scene. I've had NO color or darkness issues with default P3D sky/cloud textures ... but it sounds like you are?

I think perhaps the best thing for me to do is ask you what you think of the colors and dark/lights in these screen shots (be honest with your responses, I'm not the type that gets offended):

Cheers Rob, they look amazing! Yep, I have no addons installed with regards to weather generation or visuals.. I just find that when I'm cursing along VFR over a Forrest environment (or anywhere with trees). That the areas in direct sunlight are far too dark, unlike real life.

The cloud shadows look great, but the sunlit areas just don't stand out enough. For example, setting cumulus to 3/8, and flying at midday- trees look very dark. Buildings, cockpit, everything else looks great otherwise.

I'll try your HDR settings!

On a side note, is it just a limitation of the sim that mountains in the background don't displays 3d trees? I'll try and get a photo, but it's defiantly a ring-range at where they just don't show.. Seems rather close, but maybe that's just a limitation and I need to reduce vis.. I have tried all setting at max, including LOD @ 12.5 (and maxing out the tree LOD)..

Cheers again!

From what I have read changing LOD is not possible in P3D its locked at 6.0 - 6.5 cant remember which

Rich Sennett

I just find that when I'm cursing along VFR...

Hey, if you don't like what you're doing, just stop doing it!

(Just kidding, of course, but I couldn't let that typo pass by unnoticed! :P )

DAY: Noon-1pm, ASN Weather, P3D default clouds/sky ... above cloud layer

37830e4bbb45b179ecca6d324211c19b.jpg

Hi Rob,

I was just wondering if REX 4 would have done a better job in coloring the clouds correctly in this pic? The cloud tops should be bright white with blue shadows for the time of day. I'm looking to purchase ASN as it seems to be the better weather generator for P3D V2.4. I tried Opus fsi (demo) but overcast conditions are still not covering the sky correctly . Blue patches of sky everywhere in rainy weather.

thanks,

What does this do Rob

Increasing the value (default is ".35f") should increase the brightness for base textures as it will provide more "feedback" to blending reflections/base textures.  I prefer a tad lower value as that seems to work better with my other HDR settings.

From what I have read changing LOD is not possible in P3D its locked at 6.0 - 6.5

Correct the LOD limitation is a result of tessellation and texture array size cap of 2048 ... to get around that limit LM would need to make significant "breaking" changes (think 3rd party not happy).  I believe those types of changes will go into a future product.

I was just wondering if REX 4 would have done a better job in coloring the clouds correctly in this pic?

From what I've seen no ... but I'll load up historical weather and same location and same time/day using REX clouds for comparison (probably not today, but this weekend for sure).

The blue patches of sky might be related to cloud choice and/or cloud density setting in P3D.  If I don't set P3D to max cloud density, I will see blue patches with ASN also.

Cheers, Rob.