Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Need help tweaking auto pilot

The auto pilot does a bad job intercepting a vor or loc. How can I tweak it to be more responsive? It floats past the loc and chases it, APR goes back to APR Armed, and it has to turn back to intercept again. There was only a 3 knot headwind so it shouldn't perform this badly.

I have noticed this also. It is not very aggressive when intercepting the LOC and will fly through it then gradually intercept from the other side. I don't think there is a way to change this. It will do the job in the end so I just let it do it's thing.

The only thing I can tell you to try is to click NAV before you click APR.  It's worked for me on some airplanes.  Might be worth a shot.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There is another way to do this that will capture the LOC much better with this airplane.

While in HDG and ALT hold Activate Vectors on your approach. 

Change to GPS mode.

Vector yourself or controller instructions to an intercept heading to LOC with HDG.

Just before intercept select NAV(GPS).  I found that the AP will capture the LOC much more aggressively while in NAV(GPS)

Just before FAF select VLOC then APR.

Works every time.  Note that if your airspeed is too high you will not descend on the GS.  Shoot for 150 when you intercept the GS then drop gear and lower speed. 

Try it.

The only thing I can tell you to try is to click NAV before you click APR.  It's worked for me on some airplanes.  Might be worth a shot.

It is armed and I am on an intercept course 30 degrees or less. It goes from armed to Apr, then chases the loc, and goes back to armed, finally going back and intercepting it again.

It is armed and I am on an intercept course 30 degrees or less. It goes from armed to Apr,

NAV is armed and then it switches itself to APR?  That's not something I've seen before. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

NAV is armed and then it switches itself to APR?  That's not something I've seen before. 

Read this wrong. No it is on a heading hold, apr armed. Then goes to apr after capture. Back to apr armed when it floats past. Turns back and zig gags finally to apr and loc captured.

Read this wrong. No it is on a heading hold, apr armed. Then goes to apr after capture. Back to apr armed when it floats past. Turns back and zig gags finally to apr and loc captured.

No what I was saying was to try setting NAV instead of APR.  Then, once it locks on, press APR.  Might work. 

Gregg Seipp