Sign in to follow this  
abasa12

Aircraft Lighting at Airports

Simmers,

There's something that I've wondered for a while, that was never thought possible before, however with the advent of P3Dv2 I've been told just might be. Basically, I'm wondering about the lighting of aircraft at airports. Something that FSX has never been able to accomplish has been having aircraft being brightened by scenery lights at airports. It's highly unrealistic to see a black aircraft sitting on a tarmac brightened by airport lights, as in the real world most parked aircraft are quite visible as a result of the aforementioned. Now, I would've dismissed it, however I remember reading somewhere that LM intended to implement something along these lines in P3Dv2.2, and, although they haven't yet, I was wondering if this is still on the table. It would increase the realism of night flights exponentially, and provide much in the way of the sim. Knowing the changes that have been able to be applied by means of P3D as of yet, I wouldn't even be surprised if they devised a way to light the VC because of the tarmac/apron/airport lights.

Mainly speculation, though if anyone knew anything for certain that would be much appreciated - obviously I'm quite clueless.

-Derek

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I too am curious about this. Simply using it as a reference and not in a one sim is better than the other, but XP10 has it with the lights illuminating the cockpit and aircraft and think it adds a great amount to the immersion

I wonder what the real capability of the lighting system is in Prepar3D v2.4. I know XP10 has a real time lighting system that makes it possible to do the gorgeous lighting at airports, but FSX never had that capability. While the shadowing is better in Prepar3D when compared to FSX, I don't think the lighting system for local illuminations has changed.