Sign in to follow this  
x2nervisx

Hi new here... How do you set up an LCD monitor just for instrument gauges?

Hi I'm a new member here and I'm currently just learning the ropes of FSX and once I get the hang of FSX, I'd like to start using xplane 10 as well.   I'm currently setting up my equipment and I have all Saitek equipment (Yoke, rudder, throttle quadrants, multi panel, switch panel, 2 radio panels).   I wanted to also get the Saitek LCD mini display panels but I don't feel like spending the $600+ for 6 lcd gauge panels.  I've done some searching and I've seen people with a dedicated LCD monitor just for the instrument gauges.  How is that done?  I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum but I didn't know if this thread falls under FSX, Hardware or just a general newbie question.   Believe me, I've searched on google and some of the pages I've seen are way to complicated or I just can't find anything that relates to what I need. 

If it helps, I just built a new computer (Asus Maximus Formula VII, 16GB RAM, 2 Samsung PRO SSDs, Intel 4790k cpu, nVidia 660ti GPU's running in SLI, 3 Asus 27" LCD montiors) so I should have the hardware capability of running the 4th LCD monitor.  I was planning on using my extra 19" LCD monitor to display just the instrument gauges as it's setup in a Cessna.  Any help would be appreciated (such as what software I would need or if there are any tutorials out there you can link me to).  I've also seen some people using ipads or some other touchscreen for GPS maps.  Is this is same process? 

Thanks!

Check with Pete Cos @ FDS flight desk solutions regarding avionics

www.flightdecksolutions.com

Sim-Avionics Jetmax software.  The SA software can drive FSX or XPlane (your choice)

UPDATE:​ Sorry didn't see CESSNA...sim avionics from FDS is Jets primarily the 737NGX and T7

Generally speaking, if the LCD monitor is attached to your main computer as a secondary monitor, then it is simply a matter of "undocking" popup panels and then sliding them onto the LCD monitor.

If you need help with the physical aspects of using a secondary monitor, I'd suggest the Hardware forums as a place for help.

If you need help with setting up special popup panels for a specific aircraft, then the Aircraft and Panel Design forum would be the place for help.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Generally speaking, if the LCD monitor is attached to your main computer as a secondary monitor, then it is simply a matter of "undocking" popup panels and then sliding them onto the LCD monitor.

If you need help with the physical aspects of using a secondary monitor, I'd suggest the Hardware forums as a place for help.

If you need help with setting up special popup panels for a specific aircraft, then the Aircraft and Panel Design forum would be the place for help.

Thanks for reply.   Undocking popup panels seems easy enough however do I need special software for that or does FSX already allow you to do that? 

Open the popup window in FSX, rightclick on it and choose "Undock". Grab the window and slide it across to your secondary monitor.

All sub-windows in any panel.cfg file will open as a "Child Window" of the main screen. Undocking them allows them to have their own Window.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator