Sign in to follow this  
Tom Ek

Scenery help/fix

Hey there,

I just have a small problem with my FSX scenery. Where there should be a runway is only land, all the water disappeared in the sim. Well, I just post some pictures, so that you can see where my problem lies and maybe someone can help me, please.

The runway should be here, but....

...with a little bit of zooming, it reappears....

23jomjc.png

[url=11j5da0.png

2zss2sp.png

and yes, there should be water,

21j3k9u.png

please help me, I've tried everything I know in FSX to fix it, but nothing is working.....

Edited by firehawk44
Removed first link as the image did not appear like the others in your post and went to a site filled with spam instead.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MSFS Scenery Design Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I have no idea regarding the taxiway/runway issue. However, for the land instead of water issue I might have a solution - provided you use UTX: Close FSX, run the UTX config tool and start FSX again. Running the UTX tool usually fixes this kind of problem.

Thanks for the quick respond, but I'm not using UTX.  I tried to rearrange the sceney areas in fsx also, but in this case it didn't help.

You do not indicate what scenery you have installed. That's important. For the water issue, FloG's suggestion is the only solution I have ever heard that works. It's possible though that you have a corrupted installation and have no water textures. The texture resolution slider in your fsx settings raises or lowers the textures so you may have that setting too high or too low for the scenery. Make sure you have WideAspectView=True. The airport scenery does not work well with the surrounding areas. Where is this location? Another AFCAD may be competing. If you have MyTrafficX, it has a lot of AFCAD's in that program so that the AI can take off and land.

The link you posted contains all kinds of spam, possibly harmful spam. I removed it.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It's LDZA - Pleso airport Zagreb from Davor Puljevic. I have tried different slider positions with no success  :(  WideAspect is on True in the cfg.

I used to have MyTrafficX, but I'm not using it anymore. The funny thing is, that everything was working fine until today  :(

Hi Tom,

A few thoughts: whenever I have a problem that I can't account for, the first thing I do is see if I have a restore point available at a time before the problem surfaced.  I'm not referring to any "backup" but the one that's accessed by right-clicking "Computer", then clicking "Properties" and then "System protection" and on the window that opens you can read all about it and determine if protection is on for "C" and the drive FSX is on.  Note that this is completely reversible if it does not fix the problem.

I suspect that terrain.cfg is the problem and if there's is a backup of the original in the main FSX folder you may wish to save the current and use the backup.  Something else to try.

Forcing WideAspect to true simply forces a distorted wide angle view of .69 of normal when backspace is pressed,  It would have the same effect on your problem as any change of zoom but then a 100 foot wide runway would only appear to be 69 feet wide.  I've read repeated references to this setting that imply that it has someting to do with the aspect "ratio" of the monitor.  I always wonder if whoever writes this has ever actually used FSX..

Good luck.

Jim F.

Hi,

I'v tried it with a restore, didn't work. I had a terrain.cfg backup, also no luck. Changed WideAspet to False, well you can guess it, no luck either   :(

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear that.  I was confident that it was a terrain.cfg problem.  I recall reading of a similar problem and it was suggested that the problem might be with the Shaders.  Shaders are a mystery to me but I believe the recommendation was to delete them and they would be rebuilt.  I looked into it and recall that there were 2 Shaders folders and wasn't sure what would be appropriate to delete.

As far as the System Restore, are you sure that you chose a point prior to the problems occurrence?  Unless you work with huge files there are generally several points.  And as it's completely reversible I generally choose the earliest point if I'm not certain about the time.

Jim F.

In addition to the Shaders folder, try deleting the Facilities/Scenery Indexes. Here's how to do that as explained in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 5:

Delete/Rebuild your Facilities/Scenery Indexes and Shader Folders – These are temporary folders and should be deleted periodically (they will be rebuilt):

Facilities/Scenery Indexes are located in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX\(hidden). For P3D, instead of Microsoft\FSX, look in LockHeed Martin\Prepar3D v2 for the indexes. Delete the Facilities and Scenery folders. They will be rebuilt.

Delete the Shader folders located in C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local/Microsoft\ FSX\Shader10 and Shader folders (hidden). The Shader 10 folder is created when you enable DX10 Preview in FSX. The Shaders folder for DX9 will always be created. For P3D users, there is only a Shaders folder in C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\LockHeed Martin\Prepar3D v2 folder. When you restart FSX/P3D, these folders will be rebuilt. Deleting these temporary folders has also been known to fix some CTD’s.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

First of all, thank you everybody for the help, I solved the problem  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

@jandjfrench, yes it was a terrain.cfg problem after all, in the original as in the backup where a few faulty lines that caused the problem. I don't know how and who copied them, but they where causing the problem.

@firehawk44, nice guide for the future, thx  :clapping: