Sign in to follow this  
MaxAltitudeFilms

No "Approaching Minimums" or "Minimums" call out.

Hey all! 

Firstly I hope you all had a good Christmas and ate well. 

I have been having a minor problem with the 737 for a while now to do with call outs on final. I'm not hearing any call outs indicating minimums or indeed 100ft above minimums. I do fly for several different VA's so obviously some call outs differ for every aeroplane I fly but I don't think that's the problem. I do have the call outs selected in the FMC and have clearly stated the 'BARO' reference on the PFD too. Can anyone offer any solutions here? Thanks.

Did you check your FMC, Aircraft and Page 8 in Equipment?

Hope it helps.

John

I do have the call outs selected in the FMC and have clearly stated the 'BARO' reference on the PFD too.

Not sure sure what you mean by "and have clearly stated the 'BARO' reference on the PFD too."

You will not get an approaching minimums or minimums calls if you do not have the mins set on the BARO/RADIO correctly. Do keep in mind that BARO is based on your actual altimeter, and RADIO is based on your radio altimeter.

If the field is 5000' and your mins are 200' above the field, then BARO would need to be 5200'. Radio, on the other hand would just be 200'. A lot of simmers set the mins to 200 regardless of BARO/RADIO, so, unless the field is at sea level, they never get the call.

In order for the plane to behave correctly, it has to be operated correctly.

Also: it's a forum requirement to sign your name to your posts here. Please do so.

Kyle Rodgers

Not sure sure what you mean by "and have clearly stated the 'BARO' reference on the PFD too."

You will not get an approaching minimums or minimums calls if you do not have the mins set on the BARO/RADIO correctly. Do keep in mind that BARO is based on your actual altimeter, and RADIO is based on your radio altimeter.

If the field is 5000' and your mins are 200' above the field, then BARO would need to be 5200'. Radio, on the other hand would just be 200'. A lot of simmers set the mins to 200 regardless of BARO/RADIO, so, unless the field is at sea level, they never get the call.

In order for the plane to behave correctly, it has to be operated correctly.

Also: it's a forum requirement to sign your name to your posts here. Please do so.

I think that's what he means; that he has ser the BARO minimums and it's showing on the PFD.

Also I can't answer for the US but in the UK ILS charts have the minimums in barometric and radio (AGL) so I shouldn't think therethere'd be too much confusion there assuming wherever the OP is from does the same.

That's good advice though; I'd never really though of it too hard I always just plug the published number in. Probably a simism in there somewhere.

Anyway I don't think that's the problem from his description as he says he doesn't get the radio altitude call outs which come from the radio altimeter and should work even if minimums haven't been set.

I think that's what he means; that he has ser the BARO minimums and it's showing on the PFD.

That's what I'd assumed, but one thing I've learned over years of support jobs is to never assume. I'm willing to bet they're either not being set, they're being set on the FO side, or RADIO is being set in BARO.

Kyle Rodgers

That's what I'd assumed, but one thing I've learned over years of support jobs is to never assume. I'm willing to bet they're either not being set, they're being set on the FO side, or RADIO is being set in BARO.

Working with clients taught me never to assume someone has any clue what they're doing, even if they claim to be a brain surgeon.

Anyway see my edit above if you didn't, he still isn't getting radio call outs too!

Also I can't answer for the US but in the UK ILS charts have the minimums in barometric and radio (AGL) so I shouldn't think therethere'd be too much confusion there assuming wherever the OP is from does the same.

That's good advice though; I'd never really though of it too hard I always just plug the published number in. Probably a simism in there somewhere.

Anyway I don't think that's the problem from his description as he says he doesn't get the radio altitude call outs which come from the radio altimeter and should work even if minimums haven't been set.

The US charts are the same, and unless it's a specific RA setting, the BARO number is actually a lot more prominent than the RADIO number. I think the simism stems from just what a lot of people see off of YouTube: "it's easier to do X, so do X, because I say do X - I'm not going to offer any background info because I honestly don't know it."

I know when I started flying ILS approaches without actually knowing much about them, I'd preferentially choose the 200' value, mostly because I saw it as a common element across all of the ILS approaches in the book I had (yeah, book of IAPs because this was pre-internet...at least pre-internet-solves-every-question-especially-aviation). Then again, I also looked at the front of the book to notice that it was a value AGL, which meant that I needed a radio alt.

As far as not getting the altitude callouts, I don't see that in any of his posts, actually. All I see is that he's not getting mins and appr mins. I'd almost say he confirmed the altitude callouts by noting that there are differences between the liveries, but again...I'm assuming by the at point. ha ha.

Kyle Rodgers

Cheers lads. 

I'm almost at T/D for TNCM so I will try Radio this time and do it from MSL. I use Jepessen charts for almost every airport I go to so read them directly off there and select them accordingly on the EEFIS. I will see.

As for the signature, I'll work on that soon!

thanks

Are you using an addon livery from PMDG's website, or another site? Try using the default livery and check your FMC.

Cheers,

Brennan

Brennan Rupp

Delta Virtual Airlines

Southwest Virtual Airlines

Cheers lads. 

I'm almost at T/D for TNCM so I will try Radio this time and do it from MSL. I use Jepessen charts for almost every airport I go to so read them directly off there and select them accordingly on the EEFIS. I will see.

As for the signature, I'll work on that soon!

thanks

RADIO and height above MSL isn't going to work well either.

You need to set either BARO and the decision altitude above mean sea level or RADIO and the decision height above terrain. These figures will be shown on the chart for each runway.

If you don't have a chart, the BARO decision altitude will be 200 or 100 feet more than the runway threshold altitude above MSL. The RADIO decision height is nominally 100 feet for a CAT II approach. In practice it varies slightly for each runway because the terrain is not flat. It is intended to indicate when the aircraft is 100 feet above the runway threshold, not 100 feet above ground level.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I think this could be a software error. 

I really doubt it, honestly. If it were, we would have seen several more tickets over the 4ish years the plane has been out there. It's not like setting mins is a rare occurrence that wouldn't be caught.

Please explain exactly what you're doing, being as explicit as possible:

1. Found [altitude value] on the [approach chart] for [airport].
  2. Entered this value in the [baro/radio] setting for the mins.
  3. ...etc etc.

One more reminder: sign your posts, please.

Kyle Rodgers

No error that I know of. I use both radio and baro, and both work here.

Made another of my action videos today doing the HOU to DAL shuttle..  :lol:

I set minimums at 200 using Baro.. Love Field at 477, and I set for 677..

I often use radio also.. Never had any problems with either. Both work fine here.

No peanuts were served on a plate.  :angry:

Fixed it. I fly on the First Officers side and was setting the BARO AGL there. I wasn't setting it on the capt's side that's why...

Considering I'm moving onto my IR rating in real life in a couple of months I would think I would be getting it right anyway! So it wasn't a technical error, just a silly mistake on my part.

Anyhow, thanks for the help gents!

How do you sign posts? Sorry! 

Blue skies :)