Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

Getting "too high" for the final approach

More important to me: You should have had selected a F40 Vref of 134 and then you would have had the speed tape guides for the config. You were 24 knots slow when you put out your flaps. That's a bust. ;)

I got to looking in the manual for minimum flaps up speeds, and it seems it pertains more to

the maneuvering speeds, rather than a stall issue. So while I guess at the fairly mild turn

I was doing I was not in a drastic mess, not really a good idea to drop below the maneuvering

speeds per the various flap settings.. So I won't be doing that any more, and will follow the tape

flap guides closer on approaches.

Also, after watching that video again, I probably should have kept the airport lined up in the

HGS, rather than the quick descent, and then having to adjust the ROD being low on the VASI.

And at one point I started descending again, when I really shouldn't have been.

Pretty sloppy really..  :(

I probably would have been OK if I had just lined er up with the HGS from the git go..

But I couldn't really tell the exact VASI colors from that far out, and seemed a bit high at the start.

But being I was seeing some red, instead of all white, I should have known better.

Now after looking at it again, I probably could have done a steady 700-800 fpm descent from

2000 ft and been OK.    Oh well.. Better next time I hope.  :|

Remember that you can also use the runway extension function to give you a pseudo LOC/GS.

Have fun flying visuals. It's how you really learn to fly.

Matt Cee

Amen

Dan Downs KCRP

Remember that you can also use the runway extension function to give you a pseudo LOC/GS.

I guess I do one about every 1 out of 8 or so flights.. Or at least the visuals where there

is no ILS, or other aids. I've never tried using the runway extension. I'll have to check that

out.

I found another visual I did using the HGS where it came out a bit cleaner than the one

to Jamaica. My last trip to Branson as an artificial Southwest buoy..   :lol:

SWA quit flying there not too long after I did this one.

I had to go to 14, which in the real world does have an RNAV approach I think, but I didn't

have it in my old AIRAC data, and the FSX ATC gave me a visual. You can see the airport with

the short runway that the SWA flight went into by accident. It's off the left side, and I have the

airports lit on the ND also to show it. It's pretty short, and they were lucky they got it stopped,

as I believe they would have run off a cliff of sorts onto a highway had they not stopped.

Fairly serious mistake I suppose, but one heck of a landing to end up still on the runway

in one piece, with only some hot brakes to show for wear.

This one I kept the runway pretty much in the HUD all the way down, and the descent was a

good bit more stable than the last one I did. The HGS works great for that most of the time.

I can adapt fairly well if I'm a bit low or high once I get to the airport. Or at least to an extent

anyway. If I'm way too high or fast, it's kaput, and a go around, but that doesn't happen too

often.

Also, it seems most of the trips I make into the various Mexican airports usually end up

being visual approaches. I'm usually using one of the pseudo BBJ's if I'm going down

south.