Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

Landing Fuel

Thanks, that clears everything up :)

Whats the regs on a en-route alternate when do you require one?

Vernon Howells

I'm conscious that we're drifting a little from the original topic (apologies OP).

Leaving ETOPS aside, there's no requirement to specify an en-route alternate (though clearly from an airmanship point of view you would always be thinking about where you could land should anything untoward happen).

However, the regulations allow you to reduce your contingency fuel from 5% to 3% of trip if you have a suitable en-route alternate (subject to certain criteria about where exactly it is -- explained in the EU-OPS text -- and the same planning minima as for a destination alternate). Obviously on long sectors this can significantly reduce the amount of extra fuel needed.

Yes true but i hope the OP gets something from this and others. Once again sorry for crashing this thread.

(though clearly from an airmanship point of view you would always be thinking about where you could land should anything untoward happen).

Exactly i agree. I'll keep reading the regs about reducing CONT fuel.

One other thing, what year is your EU-Ops ? I have 2008

Vernon Howells

An old aviation adage.............before this thing gets too serious or complex.

"You never have to much fuel unless your on fire!"

what year is your EU-Ops ? I have 2008

The latest set of regulations (IR-OPS) is actually 2012 (but only came in to force in most states in October last year). There aren't many significant changes from EU-OPS (2008) though.

"You never have to much fuel unless your on fire!"

Absolutely!

10,000 lbs. on arrival without an alternate is a bit high.  in the -800 the 45 minute reserve usually ends up around 3500 pounds, give or take a couple hundred depending on the aircraft weight.  On a normal day we typically shoot for at least 5000 pounds remaining on arrival.

If it's a weather day and you have a filed alternate then it will be higher.  In the states a typical burn to your alternate is 2000-3000 pounds.  Add that to your reserve and you are looking at 5500-6500 pounds minimum for your planned arrival fuel.