Sign in to follow this  
joejccva71

Rex 4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds framerates

Hey guys I use Rex4 Texture Direct w/ Soft Clouds and I've noticed that when I fly my Airbus Extended A320 aircraft, I go from having 20-30 fps on the ground, to about 40-50 fps at 10-15,000 feet, but then when I get up over FL300 my framerates take a nosedive to like 7-10 fps. 

I currently have the cloud textures set at the second highest level of which escapes me right now at work.  I think it's the 2048 HD cloud textures?  But I'm still getting bad frames.

I'm just curious if some of you have had to turn down those cloud settings to get better frames and if so, what settings work for you?

Thanks.

I don't think this is a REX issue in that the soft clouds released are 512x512 DXT5 - we have not released the HD versions yet.

Do you have any other processes running in the background on your system, or what are your scenery settings?

We also recommend that you open a support topic on our forum at:  http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I don't think this is a REX issue in that the soft clouds released are 512x512 DXT5 - we have not released the HD versions yet.

Do you have any other processes running in the background on your system, or what are your scenery settings?

We also recommend that you open a support topic on our forum at:  http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums

Thank you for your response Reed.

So these were my settings when I had problems:

Texture Resolution

Low-Level Clouds: 2048 high resolution

High/Mid Level Clouds: 2048 high resolution

Runways: 4096 ultra high resolution

Taxiways: 4096 ultra high resolution

Texture Compression Algorithm

Low-Level Clouds: 32 bit

High/Mid Level Clouds: 32 bit

Wave Animation: 32 bit

DirectX

Sun/Effects: DX10

Water: DX10

Wave Animation: DX10

Keep in mind that I'm running DX10 in FSX Boxed version using Steve's DX10 Fixer which works great.  But I was having issues at higher flight level's with framerates when alot of clouds were around.  Also keep in mind that I had my "Cloud coverage density" at Maximum when I was having issues.

So I'm not sure if that was the reason and my PC just couldn't keep up but I switched my Texture Resolution down to 1024, the Texture Compression Algorithm's all down to DXT 5 and DXT 1 for waves, and I changed the DirectX to DX9 even though I'm running DX10 in FSX.  I also turned down the cloud coverage density to medium I believe it was.

Sorry I'm at work so I can't confirm the cloud coverage setting, but this has fixed my issue.  I had to turn down things.

I plan on uninstalling FSX Boxed and going back to FSX Steam this weekend because HiFi has made it so Active Sky Next works now.  I'll reinstall everything and report my findings.

In your opinion, what do you believe would have been the biggest culprit in high level flying framerates?  The cloud coverage density or the texture resolutions of the clouds?

Thanks!

We really can't offer support here on the AVSIM forum in that we want to respect their policies.  We recommend that you register at our support forum at:  http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums  We have some great help of there to give you the best recommendations.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com