Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Autothrottle issue with Elite Throttle Quadrant

Hi, folks. I just purchased the 777 for P3D, my first PMDG purchase. I never thought I'd get into long haul flights but this addon alone is making me rethink that!

I use the Elite King Air TQ for my addons and really like it a lot. Unlike the Saitek TQ I formerly used, the Elite uses its own configuration utility. This has worked just fine up until this point. The throttles actually work quite well in the 777 when used manually and the reversers are excellent as I can use as much or as little as I need. The issue I am having is the autothrottle is not working correctly. During takeoff, I advance the power levers to about 55% N1 before clicking the TOGA clickspot. The AT start to advance but the stop short by about 10-15%. I have to manually advance the throttles to reach the programmed N1. Interestingly, the AT behaves during cruise but then don'don't work during descent and approach. Thankfully the Elite unit does a nice job with manual operation.

I did a forum and Google search to see if anyone else had issues with the Elite TQ in the 777 and didn't get any hits so I'm hoping I might get a solution to the problem here. I suppose it is also possible that the issue lies elsewhere, but since Elite uses its own configuration utility, I am assuming that that is the problem.

Just FYI I did email PMDG tech support and Elite so if I get a solution outside the forum I will post an update so others can benefit.

Cheers,

Todd

Not sure but give this a shot.. Assuming it's a usb based , just disconnect the throttle from the pc for a few seconds and connect again. My Saitek would spike all of a sudden during take off roll and auto throttle wouldn't work. That fixed it.

Full names are required on the forums.

Do you have a registered version of FSUIPC? That's the best way to assign any hardware axis in FSX. There are also options to help prevent controller spikes.

Chris,

I do use a registered copy of FSUIPC but the Elite TQ uses its own configuration utility and, as such, FSUIPC does not appear to work with it.  At least, I haven't been able to get FSUIPC to work. I'll try again as I just upgraded to P3D v2.5.

Todd

Chris,

I do use a registered copy of FSUIPC but the Elite TQ uses its own configuration utility and, as such, FSUIPC does not appear to work with it.  At least, I haven't been able to get FSUIPC to work. I'll try again as I just upgraded to P3D v2.5.

Todd

That's very strange I use hardware with its own configuration utility and it is still recognised by FSUIPC. 

Did you try the control spike fix I mentioned?

From the website,

"Dur­ing usage, the ELITE soft­ware would cre­ate a folder called “Pref” in the software’s direc­tory, which con­tains files which hold your cus­tom set­tings infor­ma­tion. Delet­ing this folder will reset the soft­ware to a newly installed condition.

To find it, open “My Com­puter” or “Com­puter” and open the con­tents of your hard drive. It will likely be in this loca­tion:
C:\ELITE\(software series name)\Pref
or
C:\Program Files\ELITE\(software series name)\Pref

Sim­ply delete the entire Pref folder (or “Jet­Pref” if you are using a Jet pack­age) and then restart ELITE. The folder will then be regen­er­ated once you start the soft­ware for the stor­age of new settings."

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Guys, I first of all thank you for taking interset in helping me to resolve this issue.

Big Sky - no such folder exists on my system. Are you using Elite TQ's yourself? If so, I am assuming you are having no AT conflicts?

PMDG 777 - I checked FSUIPC and the only control spike selections have to do with ailerons, elevator, and rudder. I couldn't find any throttle or general control spike section. Regardless, FSUIPC doesn't recognize my TQ anyway.

I have also tried changing my AT setting in the PMDG options menu, at the suggestion of PMDG technical support (i.e. setting to 'NEVER'), but that hasen't helped either. I also emailed Elite technical support but I am still awaiting a reply.

I'm not giving up yet. Hopefully there will be a solution because I am really enjoying learning this aircraft.

The only thing I can really suggest then is perhaps resetting any profile you have for FSX in the external program to default (or deleting the profile and making a new one). Perhaps reinstalling the drivers might help?