Sign in to follow this  
clearwater

Issues with GNS 430/530

I just purchased the GNS 430/530 and when I launched Prepar3d v2.5 it appears in the aircraft and everything seems to work except the navigation map. GPS way-points are very dark blue and very hard to read because they match  the same color water blue with a black background. Also I can not see other airports, VORS, or any navigational aid more than 20nm away and I cannot see any airspace boundary lines. The navigation top down map is pretty much unusable in RNAV approaches. I use the 430 in real world flying, but I am no expert on the GPS. After $90 of product purchasing cost I am very disappoint as the functionality seems to be worse than the default GPS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Per forum rules you must sign your name to all posts.

GPS way-points are very dark blue and very hard to read because they match the same color water blue with a black background.

I'm uncertain what you're referring to here. What are "GPS way-points"? Flight plan waypoints are depicted by lines... gray/white/magenta. I don't know what a "GPS way-point" is, to be honest.

Also I can not see other airports, VORS, or any navigational aid more than 20nm away and I cannot see any airspace boundary lines.

This is correct behavior unless one changes the declutter settings which we have not provided the ability to do so at this time as it isn't something covered in flight training. We selected a range setting based on typical flight school needs. I am assuming you are saying you see no airspace boundaries beyond 20nm as well as I can see boundaries when range is below 30nm.

The navigation top down map is pretty much unusable in RNAV approaches.

I can't possibly imagine why. Feel free to elaborate.

As for the rest of your post. The default GPS doesn't have current navigational data with WAAS approaches, has zero SIDs and zero STARs... most of it's approaches are grossly out of date. Perhaps you should reconsider your choice of insults towards my work. :smile:

I didn't mean to insult your work! It is a great program and I am very glad someone is making 430s in flight sim. I was just frustrated at first.

RNAV fixes (IAF, FAF) are what I was talking about as GPS waypoints. They are very hard to read for how dark blue they are. Just makes RNAV approaches a bit more difficult to use. 

Other than that I spent today using the GPS and I am now very impressed with the program. I should've slept before I posted haha. Thank you for your response

Oh... you can insult it... as long as it's a good one. :wink: