Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Developing Advanced Flight Dynamics Models

As Outerra moves forward, Outerra users/modders are beginning to see a need to codify the rapidly accumulating knowledge of how to create content for the program, so that newcomers will have an easier path in not having to all "Start from scratch" repeatedly recreating the same wheel. Hopefully this will help in creating more uniformity in coding, which is, as to be expected at this early date, a bit chaotic.

This thread, started by Uriah509, begins in the Outerra forum here: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?action=unread

Hey everyone!  cheesy.gif

I am starting this thread for the discussion and development of advanced Flight Dynamics Models (FDMs), and for documenting examples, lessons learned, best practices and tools in the Outerra Wiki
Learn How to get write access to contribute to the wiki.

I would like to preface this thread by asking everyone to please keep this discussion to a technical nature so we can focus on the pertinent development of flight models. Thank you! 

That said, we welcome and urge anyone with experience in JavaScript, XML, JSBSim, aviation in general, engineering and aerospace, as well as private, commercial and military pilots, to contribute your knowledge to this discussion. Participation will shape the final outcome and quality of the flight models, and would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Uriah George

Important Information and Resources: (PM me if you want to add an item to the list!)

JSBSim:

JavaScript and XML:

//IIIIIIIII\\                             |||
   ///           \\\                          |||
  |||             |||   |||         |||   IIIIIIII}       //IIIIII\\     \\\  ///III\\     \\\  ///III\\      //III\\    
  |||             |||   |||         |||      |||        ///       \\\     \|||/              \|||/           ///    \\\
  |||             |||   |||         |||      |||       ||IIIIIIIII||       |||                |||            ///       \\\
   \\\           ///     \\\       ///       |||        \\\                |||                |||           ///||||||||\\\
     \\IIIIIIIII//         \\IIIIII//         \\\         \\\IIII//}       |||                |||          ///            \\\

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This is a really great initiative! I'm not making content for Outerra myself, but I'm sure more gifted individuals than me will benefit from this Wiki! Great work! :smile:  

This is a really great initiative! I'm not making content for Outerra myself, but I'm sure more gifted individuals than me will benefit from this Wiki! Great work! :smile:  

Outerra is moving into a new phase, and its hoped that creative people not totally swamped by other commitments might be interested in wandering afield a bit, to help out a young community finding its direction.

Outerra is still not certain where to go first. Arcade? Full-on nose to the grindstone simulation?

This is the time to help lay the foundations of the future.

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?board=41.0

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Work continues: Please see more at: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3240.0;topicseen

From Uriah George.

[WIP] Aircraft Development Toolkit
« on: March 15, 2015, 05:48:31 am »

I am working on an Aircraft Development Toolkit for Outerra that will help people build accurate flight models, taking measurements directly from the 3d model and real world data. Some features, like force vector visualization for flight testing, will use a bone (e.g. BONE_CG or BONE_AC) and different colored 3D objects, such as Vector Arrows or Center Marks, that will be a attached to these bones. In the JS script I will set the bones to the position/rotation of the corresponding center or force vector, and use an autopilot to hold level flight at a specific altitude for standardized flight testing. There will be a variable to hide/show the visualization objects, as well as this.log_inf() these properties and output a CSV file. As part of the Aircraft Development Toolkit I'll include a users guide, 3ds Max file including the visualization objects, bones and helpers, the script code to animate each visualization feature, and FDM examples of a number of different flight modeling methods that can be used for different purposes/types of aircraft . 

Devons rig

It's quiet here!

Some screens of Uriah's toolkit : forces vector visualisation

VE7MLZr.jpg

KsDVZAy.jpg

Note that it's displaying multiple force vectors for each wing/blade. This is a good picture of what Bomber is doing with JBSIM to get the most accurate possible FDM. He is currently working on improving the Cessna 172 FDM.