Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

Confirm I understand REX 2 and Active Sky Next.

Easy question for somebody familiar with these programs, my memory is a little foggy.

Years ago I bought REX 2 on my old computer and if I remember correctly I got it because it made the clouds, fog, and water much more realistic looking. It also removed that default FSX white blanket that used to cover the terrain in the mornings. I can't remember if it had a weather engine or not as I just used the FSX real world weather until it started being crazy inaccurate. So then at that time (also years ago) I purchased Active Sky Next for accurate weather, but I don't think it made all the pretty clouds, fog and water.   

I am now re-installing FSX in my new computer and trying to decide what I need and don't need. I see at the REX website they have newer versions but I was perfectly happy with REX 2 so I might as well use it if I need it.  

So my question is are my thoughts above correct, and I should be re-installing both REX 2 and ASN?  Thanks.

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

Rex handles injection of the textures (sky colours, clouds etc) whilst ASN only handles generation of the actual weather in the sim. In the past Active Sky also provided textures à la Rex but the latest version (ASN) only handles weather generation. Think of Rex as the paint and ASN as the paintbrush and you're on the right lines. You'll get on fine with Rex 2 but I'd say the latest version along with soft clouds is a must have for any serious simmer.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Great, thanks for confirming I need both. Before installing REX 2 I will look over the new REX and Soft Clouds and determine if I am a serious simmer or not. LOL

Before installing REX 2 I will look over the new REX and Soft Clouds and determine if I am a serious simmer

Since you already  have asn already, I suggest  to have a look at rex 4  which is only  a texture addon  and it installs textures much faster  than rex2  and if  you purchase  soft clouds you can combine  the 2  together

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Well I guess I'm a serious enough simmer as I got the new REX4, and yes it sure does install the textures much faster. I looked at soft clouds too, and although it's inexpensive I don't know if I really need it. I seem to be pretty happy with the clouds I have now. Am I missing something and it's a no brainer that I need to get?

It's worth it. I think they have redone the generation of the clouds to be more fluffy and lifelike - volumetric is the official title I believe. I've no idea of the science behind it but boy does it look good in the sim. For €10 or so just get it installed, but *after* you inject the Rex4 textures.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Sorry, just one more question. Is soft clouds giving me even more cloud types to choose from, meaning that I may never use the ones that came with REX 4 because these look better? Or does it just add soft type clouds only, or just change the clouds I picked in REX 4 and make them look softer? Hope I made sense.    

Alrighty, just an update and I did get the soft clouds now and it does look more realistic at the low levels, glad I got it. Thanks.